How do I get them all sleeping together?

• 2 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
How do I get them all sleeping together?
« on: June 17, 2011, 22:33 »
My 2 chickies (14 weeks old) are now happily wandering around together, freeranging with my 3 ex-batts. Everything seems quite harmonious, providing the chicks stay away from the big girls while they're eating. Nelly ex-batt even let the chicks lie down next to her yesterday for a few minutes. The big girls all flock together and the 2 newbies stay together but they dont mix at all really. They sleep in seperate coops, but I want them all sleeping together.
How do I go about this? Im worried that if I sneak them in while its dark, in the morning, the big girls will harm the babies before I get to let them out.
ANy ideas folks? xx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
Re: How do I get them all sleeping together?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 07:08 »
If they roam freely and are outside and all is fine. When you put them to bed there will be a pecking order for that as well the new ones will be renounced to the lower level perches. They should be fine.

I have 16 hens in a 7ftx4ft shed with 3 levels of perching places and all new comers and timed birds start out on the lower rungs and soon they all are on the first two. The youngest I have had in the coop were 12 weeks and did fine.

At the moment I have 8 week olds running with the main flock but not in the coop at night as they are to small still to reach the perches.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

Carla

• Experienced Member
Re: How do I get them all sleeping together?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:39 »
Well I put them all to bed in the same coop last night, and this morning all seemed ok. The perches were down, so I think there's been a bit of a rumpus, and when I let them out, the babies shot past the big girls as if they couldnt get far enough away, but I cant see any bald patches, or wounds so hopefully, they'll start being friends :)

xx
Sleeping outside

Started by jaws on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 20:46
by joyfull
xx
sleeping out

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 22:57
by jo40
xx
Sleeping Arrangements!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 16:13
by andreadon
question
Sleeping out at night!?

Started by leggygirls on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 14:46
by joyfull

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 35 queries.