Big tubs... what veggies can I plant now?

• 8 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Big tubs... what veggies can I plant now?
« on: June 17, 2011, 11:35 »
Over the last 3 years I have accumulated 3 broken plastic 200 litre water butts... a combination of hard frosts and OH dropping a brick into one!

OH has cut them in half and I plan to use the top halves to plant stuff in... they're about a foot and a half tall and very wide.

They're sitting on the grass in front of my potting shed, they're open at the bottom so I was going to put carboard in the bottom, then some gravel for drainage, followed by a mixture of topsoil and multi-purpose compost... does this sound ok?

Next, what to plant? I was planning on peas, tatties (can I still get seed potatoes? If so, which ones are best to plant now?), and parsnips... any ideas on variety?

Does this sound ok? Have I missed the boat?
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

compostqueen

Re: Big tubs... what veggies can I plant now?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 11:47 »
If you're talking plants you could buy some in, eg toms, courgettes, squashes, outdoor cucumbers.  I wouldn't do spuds now personally.  I grew some lovely rosette pak choi (tatsoi) in tubs last year from seed raised indoors.  You can sow carrots direct, spring onions, Florence fennel, beetroot, oriental leaves, salad leaves, lettuces. World's your oyster  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:49 »
mini raised beds will grow anything you like really...but I don't think you need the gravel. They will drain easily anyway because they are raised :)

I do a similar thing for my pumpkins, and the roots escape to seek out water in the soil below :D

Too late for parsnips n tatties though I think :(

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 11:52 »
Jeez, you guys are good! Thanks for the info... I feel a trip to the garden centre coming on  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 12:02 »
Get some "Alderman" peas. They grow upwards (6' +). Ideal for small areas.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 17:24 »
I got some pak choi plants, and seeds for peas, spring onions, spinach and squash... though I think I'll leave the squash seeds for next year. Thanks for your help :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 18:29 »
Hi Diddy, personal choice I know, but I seldom buy seeds from garden centres, they charge too much unless they have a sale on.

I know you have your seeds now, but next time you are in the supermarket, Morrisons is a good one for seeds usually, or some of the el cheapo ones like Aldi and Lidl, Pounds shops etc.  See what they have for sale, much cheaper and I have found that most of the seeds do okay, unless of course you like more unusual varieties?  :)

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 20:17 »
What about courgettes? I grow a couple of plants in large tubs. Just sow two or three seeds and keep the best plant. I know one plant looks big in a tub - but they soon grow and a couple of plants is plently for a family of four. Growing them in a tub keeps they clear of slugs etc and you get good clean courgettes. A word of warning - courgettes are not to everyones taste - if you don't like them - don't grow them.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 21:33 »
Hmm... personally I would love to grow courgettes. Unfortunately, OH hates everything in that family of veggies... courgettes, marrows, cukes etc... it's soooo sad!

xx
WHAT CAN I PLANT IN BIG TUBS FOR WINTER

Started by landgirl on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 10:23
by landgirl
xx
Should I plant out my solent wight (garlic) from their tubs?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 21:47
by compostqueen
xx
leeks in tubs

Started by greenmiranda on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2008, 15:55
by gobs
xx
leeks in tubs

Started by sydlin on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 20:35
by Beanzie

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 38 queries.