Cats.... sad news

• 26 Replies

kirstie1978

Re: Cats.... sad news
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 22:35 »
oooh that sounds interesting.... will look it up unless you have a link... i could put that on the top of the aviary perhaps as that and the chook house are where he's headed all the time.... mmm maybe h'll get the message that way!!!

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 22:36 »
I would highly recommend a rescue dog " don't breed or buy when so many die, adopt a dog one by one until there are none"  growing up we had three rescue dogs the latest one Atom ( my profile pic) was just 6 months old and found as a stray he already knew sit and paw when my parents got him and is a lovely easy to train dog  before that we had a beagle and a Irish wolfhound x whippet. There are plenty of puppies in rehoming centres too when we went to pick Atom there was even a six week old pup that was found! If I didn't work full time I would have a dog mans best friend and all!  

jinty1911

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 22:48 »
You need to be careful with retrieving dogs.  My mother trains them for the blind/disabled.  The last one could load/unload the washing machine but on his final test, took off after a pheasant, killed it and failed the test.  A years hard work and training wasted :(.  She loved him so much that he is now her house dog but he is not welcome here.

smud6ie

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 22:49 »
oooh that sounds interesting.... will look it up unless you have a link... i could put that on the top of the aviary perhaps as that and the chook house are where he's headed all the time.... mmm maybe h'll get the message that way!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=heron+deterrent&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=11806008834&ref=pd_sl_8w4oqyktp1_b

smud6ie

kirstie1978

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 22:53 »
yeah i have to admit that was my only concern with retrieving dogs and hence looking at smaller dogs such as the smaller american eskimos! I'm not sure i know i'm not a fan of beagles, spaniels and long bodies, (she says being partial to lurchers but think it's their temperament!) Although if it coul dlearn to catch their cat and return it to their house (preferably in one piece as i don't fancy a law suit!) then that'd be excellent!
But as i have no companionship in the house as my cat is rather independent and prefers the bed, i thought it might solve 2 problems at once!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 23:02 »
Our Penny is a rescued lab/springer who is nearly 10 now, we got her when she was 11 months old.

She will chase and dig up rats, mice and moles, and chases the cats from 2 doors up, but she comes into the chicken runs with us and is quite nervous, as some of the chickens we had 3 years ago used to peck her nipples and she always remembers that!  Shes walks VERY close to us!  :lol:

The only time she growled at a chicken was when it was free ranging the garden and tried to peck her bone!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 23:21 »
I think you need to be VERY careful before yout hink of a dog as a solution yo the cat problem, particularly with regards to your chickens. Ive been here a number of year and there are very few reports of cats attacking even bantams but dog attacks or "s/he's always been so good, it must have been play gone wrong" is a frequent occurrence.

You also need to think of yourself. If you are not well enough to work following your nasty accident, would you be putting too much strain on yourself looking after an active dog?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

kirstie1978

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 23:57 »
I totally hear what you're saying. I am "fit" and active i'm in my early 30s. I had a car accident which has left me with central neuropathic pain and a frozen shoulder.
I am not considering the dog purely as a solution to the cat situation. It is something i have considered but put to the back of my mind. But i have family and friends all of whom have also suggested it and said they will help otu if required. I can walk a small dog and withstand that being "untrained" a very large dog that could jar me i could do but it would possibly hurt!
I see the dog as a solution to my cat problem in some respects but also as a companion for myself. The cat i have across hte road i do not thing will give up. It is hard to explain but yeah he's scary!
I will strongly consider what you say about the dog and cat accidents also. i really don't know what to do now! i would dearly love a dog... and if it aids the chicken's survival against the cat, all the better.... but it sounds like i might have to give up and just remain as i am stood in the kitchen keeping an eye on them.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 11:10 »
I have a lab, we had her from a pup, and she is the kindest most gentle dog, wonderful with my toddler and 5 chickens...until she feels all maternal and tries to groom them!!  I cant leave her for long periods of time with the girls freeranging because she tries to mother them and will squash them!! But, she does chase cats away, leaves ours alone, but wont let any other animal in our garden. I think she sees us, the kids, chickens and cat as part of her pack (she even tries to groom my OH and naked rats!), tried to keep us safe from predetors, and even though she is too big to play with the chickens, I know she's never intentionally hurt them. I think with the right training and supervision, a puppy can learn to live with chickens and I highly recommend getting one. There's no trouble with cats in my garden...and the fox isnt too impressed either. Its admirable getting a rescue dog, but not if it doesnt suit the reason for having a dog in the 1st place xx Get Well soon too.
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

kirstie1978

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 11:48 »
Thank you Carla...
I agree i need to get the right dog for my situation after all the chickens and cat were here first! Ultimately i want no harm to come to any of my animals, and that is the most important thing! Their welfare is paramount!

Casey76

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 19:44 »
Hi kirstie,

I have two cats myself, and they have never harmed my chickens, even the bantams when I put them outside at 5 weeks old.  Even though they regularly catch blackbirds and the occasional wood pigeon.

If you have the time (and patience) pick up a moderately powerful supersoaker (water pistol) from a pound/discount shop.  I don't even put anything in it (though some people say use lemon juice, or mild washing up liquid), just the jet of plain water is enough to see the cats off with.  If you're consistent, and catch them regularly, it shouldn't take too long before you are able to dissuade "foreign" cats from your garden.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 20:14 »
Hi Kirstie,

You could try feeding the cat and get it to think of you and your pets as family.  Think it might be easier to train the cat than chase it.   :blush:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Fox news

Started by meterman on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 01:25
by TeaPots
xx
There's no news like bad news !

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 17:57
by wildeone
xx
Exciting news

Started by Vonnie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 20:33
by Vonnie
xx
in the news today!!!

Started by ACatCalledElvis on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2007, 21:13
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 37 queries.