Green manure advice

• 8 Replies

bigben

Green manure advice
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:03 »
I am on my second year working this particular allotment and looking at my compost bins I will only have enough to spread over one bed at the end of the season. I thought about giving green manures a go but know nothing about them. I was looking for something to plant after I have lifted spuds, onions, sweetcorn etc. Anyone able to tell me:

A type of manure suitable for this that I can plant and leave over winter?

When to plant eg which month?

When to cut and dig in?

I am planning on doing a few beds so will be buying a fair bit - I have seen a few people (particularly DD) recommend Moles seeds. Anyone used their green manure?

Trillium

Re: Green manure advice
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 15:57 »
I think this should answer all your questions:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/fertilizer/green-manures.php

bigben

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:10 »
Thanks Trillium!

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:46 »
I've sown a few over the last couple of years http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/sow_help.htm has some good info although I purchased from another site.

Im sure they're helpful but I haven't found them anywhere near as beneficial as large amounts of horse pooh.

bigben

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:28 »

Im sure they're helpful but I haven't found them anywhere near as beneficial as large amounts of horse pooh.

I am sure your correct Lardman but I do not have a trailer and have tended to find my car boot will only hold enough for to do one bed. Last time I did it the missus went mental because of the smell. Some people are just too fussy. I cleared up most of what came out of the bags when they fell over when I did a sharp left turn. :nowink:

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 12:00 »
Id be interested in your results - or anyone else has been using them for a few years.

In 4 seasons even with the chickens and all the garden waste I've only managed to make 2 darleks of home-made compost ,which doesn't go very far.

Im desperate for a cheap source of organic matter.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 13:51 »

Pity you're not closer to me. I keep my horse on a yard that has huge quantities of rotted horse poo, they don't use weedkiller on the grazing fields and they don't buy in any hay. I also have 6 daleks and 2 big wooden compost bins, all full, and more garden waste/piles of dead leaves than I know what to do with :) But there must be other people like me who are close to you.

fatbelly

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 14:08 »
In 4 seasons even with the chickens and all the garden waste I've only managed to make 2 darleks of home-made compost ,which doesn't go very far.

I may have the answer......I like you cannot create enough compostable greens etc for my plot. So what I did was go to two of my local florists and ask could I collect any green matter or discarded flowers from their bins. They were very keen to reduce the amount of waste the throw away because their refuge company charges  so the less waste is better.

I collect two three times a week or whenever I can. I now have three daleks full of compostable matter and about ten black bins bags full to the brim waiting to go in.

Make sure you explain why you want the discarded lowers etc and you should be fine.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

bigben

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 14:26 »

At home I dont have a problem getting stuff to compost. I have one neighbour that drops off his hedge cuttings, another who gives me his grass cuttings and I mow the grass/pick up the fallen leaves for the old lady nextdoor. I also have my own grass, hedge and kitchen waste so it means I always end the season with at least 4 full darleks. My problem is it is not easy transporting stuff to the allotment but my own garden does very well.

xx
Another Green Manure Advice Please

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 19, 2022, 07:24
by New shoot
xx
Green manure advice

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 08, 2021, 13:44
by Snowboar
xx
Hello and any advice on what green manure to grow?

Started by francisgreen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 10:43
by dougsta
xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 28 queries.