Is it a boy?

• 14 Replies

VickyW

• Experienced Member
Is it a boy?
« on: June 12, 2011, 13:03 »
Hi, help needed quickly, I have my 3 8-10 week old chocolate orpingtons and one has a slightly bigger comb and has made silent crowing movements, is it a boy??? Or do hens do this movement too?
If I know now i may be able to swap with the breeder

Colernehens

Re: Is it a boy?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 18:13 »
Do you have a picture of him or her?

I am not expert at all, but I have 6 Orpington Chicks (well 4 at least, we are suspicious that 2 might be other breeds  :unsure:). They will be 6 weeks old on Wednesday, and two of them have combs and wattles that are bigger and much redder and I am convinced that they are boys. One of them we have been certain about since he was about 2 weeks old as his comb has always been bigger & redder than the others.

Our bigger Orpington Hens did not come into lay until they were about 20 - 24 weeks (one was 18 months old  :ohmy:) So the combs on girls should be pale at 8-10 weeks, and small.

As I say though I am no expert, might be worth letting the breeder know that you have doubts, especially if you bought them sexed. Ours were bought at 3 days old, so we knew that there was no way of knowing. ( We are taking back the two that we think aren't Orps, just to be sure  ???)

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 20:56 »
Here's a pick of them, not clear I'm afraid but will try for a better one tomorrow
Majorca 070.JPG

Colernehens

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 21:48 »
The one at the feeder would appear to have a bigger comb.

I posted some pictures of mine on the 7/6/11 it called Orpington Chick Pics One. The first picture is the chick that we have been sure is a cockerel since about 2 weeks old, take a look and see if he compares to yours.

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 16:11 »
Ok, here's a close up of him/her  :nowink: I spoke to the breeder today and she's willing to swap for another so his/her hours are numbered...Anyone save this bird?
boy 001.JPG

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 16:21 »
Hi, help needed quickly, I have my 3 8-10 week old chocolate orpingtons and one has a slightly bigger comb and has made silent crowing movements, is it a boy??? Or do hens do this movement too?
If I know now i may be able to swap with the breeder

What do you mean by silent crowing movements?  If you mean stretching of the neck with the beak opening wide this could be it getting the food from its crop.  Looks as if it is gasping for air sometimes.  The food is stored in the crop and then the hen swallows small amounts which could be what is happening.  If so this is quite normal.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 16:28 »
Yes the stretching the neck movement, it does look like a silent crow though. What do you think from my pic?

We've also looked at the 1st and 3rd toes and they are different lengths, I feel really bad about getting rid though  :(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 16:35 by VickyW »

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 16:44 »
Sorry I don't know Vicky.  My Black Rocks all developed at different times and still have different sized combs.  They are sexed at day old and I don't think they can be mistaken.  I would wait and see if anyone else can identify yours.

Colernehens

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 18:46 »
If that is at 10 weeks, then compare to 3 of mine who are not yet 6 weeks, I'd say it was a girl, but I am no expert at all.

Can you wait a bit longer or is the breeder getting rid of them fast? I have been told that for pure breeds they can be much older before they can be correctly sexed.

What is his/ her tail like?

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 22:26 »
He's gone!!! :ohmy: My OH took him back to the breeder who still thought he was a hen, until he went back in her run and looked nothing like the others.

We now have a hen (I hope) with very little comb at all  :lol:

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 22:52 »
I would have guessed at hen too - but when we had buffs we found it very hard to tell. Leghorns on the other hand seem to be tellapartable at 5 weeks.

My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 22:16 »
Knowing my look, the 3 we have will all be cocks!!! We have Flo - No comb, Doris - Slight comb, and Christina - Normal comb  :)

trinamc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 10:01 »
Hi  orps are a nightmare to sex at this age but from the ones that I have had I would say it was a hen, some of the hens have quite large combs and some of them have smaller ones. We have come to the conclusion that in our pen we wait if it lays it stays if it crows we keep 1 of each type and the others get new homes. Good luck with the others :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 12:47 »
Sorry I don't know Vicky.  My Black Rocks all developed at different times and still have different sized combs.  They are sexed at day old and I don't think they can be mistaken.  I would wait and see if anyone else can identify yours.

If yours are definitely black rocks ANHBUC, then they are definitely girls!  All boys are culled at hatching from Eddie Lovatt's hatchery in Scotland.  And he doesn't sell hatching eggs.

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 20:32 »

If yours are definitely black rocks ANHBUC, then they are definitely girls!  All boys are culled at hatching from Eddie Lovatt's hatchery in Scotland.  And he doesn't sell hatching eggs.

Yes they are from an Eddie Lovatt's approved agent.  They did have cock birds but I think they keep them for meat birds.  They were really light in colour so no mistaking with the hens.  I was making the point of not all comb sizes being the same in the same breed of hen.  Bit like human ears and noses!!   ???  :D

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 28 queries.