Plot planning / Record keeping?

• 18 Replies

plot36

« on: September 09, 2007, 01:24 »
Hi All
I know this might sound silly but here goes…..Has any one got a good  way of keeping records of all that you do on the plot?.

I have tried many different ways; some are to long boring and taking a lot of time to do with each Vegetable.

I am new to all this and I know it would be so helpful just to get an idea or to see how other growers keep records of  planting and crop rotation.

If you have any tips to share  or could email any to me view it would be very helpful.

Many Thanks
and
Happy Growing

muntjac

rotation system
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 04:31 »
ok divide the plot into 3 sections start at the top of the plot and assign that secion 1 going down the plot to section 2 then 3 . now  section 1 manure this year and plant brassicas on that section add lime 1 oz to square yard .plant roots on section 2 and salads and any other surface growing stuff you want on section 3 . make  list of what you have sown on each plot . now copy the picture to a piece of paper  and now make a similar picture 2 more times .it should look like this  
 year 1 section 1 manure potato's brassicas
            ""   "    2 roots onions
            ""   "    3 salads radish etc

year 2 section 2 manure potato's brassicas
             ""  "   3 salads radish etc
             ""  "   1 roots onions

year 3 section 3 manure potato's brassicas.
            ""    "   1 roots onions
            ""    "   2 salads radish etc

now for each section and year you can mark down what seeds or plants you put in that section and you can also see that you have a rotation system to keep track of when you should manure and lime .. ( DO NOT LIME FOR POTATO'S ).i think on a single plot as most members have they should grow potato's only if they have a need to .they take up so much room to make any real amount of harvest .better to grow in tubs or bags for a treat
still alive /............

shaun

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 08:27 »
i write nothing down i used too but kept loosing it so now its all in the head but i loose that aswel :lol:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

ACatCalledElvis

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 08:52 »
I use plot crop - a pc program which lets you set up beds and then record what is grown/results and even plan future plantings - and has a journal you can record your doings on

www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/

I believe the NVS also has a pc program that does it

E
Be Reasonable Demand the Impossible

Organic as much as my plot neighbours allow

pepper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 11:27 »
I use the calendar that's free with Gardeners World in January and record sowings, plantings etc etc when I do them in the appropriate box. There's enough room to write in type and number.  I have it hung up in my kitchen and have found this the most useful for me to record everything. As for crop rotation I have an exercise book in which I have drawn my plot (very basically) and I write in the type of veg. (roots, brassicas etc) each year to give me a basic visual memory aid.
monica

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 11:37 »
I'm sure John has a link to a garden plan/record keeping software on here somewhere I think it even tells you correct crop rotation etc once you've imputed your first lot of veg.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Lynne

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 15:42 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
I'm sure John has a link to a garden plan/record keeping software on here somewhere I think it even tells you correct crop rotation etc once you've imputed your first lot of veg.

I must try and find that.

At the moment I have one list to remind me of the things I should do each month, another where I have summarised what soil PH, special instructions, additives to apply, problems and solutions for each type of veg I grow and a diagram of the plot with what I have planted where.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

mushroom

Re: Plot planning / Record keeping?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 16:01 »
Quote from: "plot36"
Hi All
I know this might sound silly but here goes…..Has any one got a good  way of keeping records of all that you do on the plot?.

perfectly sensible queston

I use an A4-size diary. Big enough to sketch the plot in, and it's a diary so one page/day. ~I use a pencil. Both utensils are not taken off the plot.

brucesgirl

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 16:42 »
I use an exercise book too, and each time I visit the plot I put the date at the top of the page, and write down what I have done. I also have an A3 overview of the plot with all the beds marked, and I have just done one for next year, these hang on the shed wall.
Next year I will get a page a day diary, too late for one this year, and at the beginning of the year I plan to write down at the start of each month which seeds and plants need sowing.
I trained as an accountant, and am also very anal  - which probably explains all of the above  :!:

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 17:38 »
i keep a diary and C.A.D drawings of the garden by the month :lol:
always have a target
and an objective.

crowndale

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 18:07 »
I keep a dairy of main events like planting, feeding harvesting and bed prep etc.  but its in the form of a running commentary, I may well try something easier to follow next year.  I also have a basic A4 plan of crop rotation for 4/5 years hence (haven't actually got the allotment yet but am using it in the garden too!).
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

shaun

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 18:16 »
might be a bit of a long shot but it would be handy and intresting if you had an add on say in your profile (on this site) with a growing calender so you fill it in as and when.
can it be done ?

Lynne

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 14:31 »
Something like that would be great for me Shaun.

mushroom

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 18:58 »
Another thing - though there are some very good programs that will help you do this on your computer, using pencil and paper and mark 1 eyeball means you're neither dependent on electricity or storage format.

Baz

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 19:05 »
Shauns idea, is a "beaut!"  :)
Baz.........
Mostly organic...

xx
Keeping a record....any suggestions

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 22:04
by cooperman
xx
Planning the Plot

Started by DiggingPlot81 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 13:09
by Lynne
xx
re planning my plot ..

Started by jenny53 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 15:00
by TerryB
xx
Plot planning

Started by Bob after on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 20:00
by ThatsNice

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 36 queries.