A question for those of you who grow carrots in tubs and buckets.......

• 40 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Yes builders sharp sand is ok. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
is that just normal builders sharp sand and not the horticultural sand?

didn't know there was more than one type of sharp sand. I went to Homebase for it. I can take it back if it's wrong though. :unsure:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I think sharp sand is different from builder's sand - if I recall other posts on the subject correctly, builder's sand has different properties from sharp sand is isn't as good.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Builders sand is sharp sand. "Horticultural" sand might be different. :)

Ice

• muck spreader
Normal builders sharp sand. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Builders sharp sand is different from the bright yellow (well it is down here) builders sand that is used to make mortar.
Sharp sand is gritty and is used in concrete mixes and it is lighter in colour because it has been washed.
Horti sharp sand has been washed even more.

Ice

• muck spreader
We've had many a thread on here regarding sharp sand and the general consensus has been that builders sharp sand is ok to use.  I've used it a lot and wouldn't bother using horticultural sharp sand.  Any other type of sand is a no no.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
I agree! I was only trying to make clear, (and obviously failing miserably  :lol: )

that it's the ordinary builders sand (the bright yellow stuff) that should be avoided..cos it's soft sand and not gritty enough for the garden.

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
Thank you all for your replies. From what you have said, the one I have bought will do the job, so I will get the pots planted up  today.  :D.

skatenchips

After failing miserably last year(1st season) we have built a purpose built wooden pallet sized
carrot home....(compost bin sorta sized) so its above the flying nasties circling height.
I filled it with 1 foot of compost on the bottom..... and mixed the top 18 inches with Horticultural sand and Moss Peat and riddled it to remove any rogue "bits".

So far this seasons Amsterdam Forcing 3,s and Early Nante 5,s have been fantastic,nice firm 4 to 7  inch spring carrots ....well pleased after last years failures.
I did read somewhere about Horti sand being better for veggies hense me buying it,that said I do realise the peat additive might be a talking point but the combination of the 2 has proved a blinding success so far with NO stunted or forked carrots.

Ive even (after loosening the top 2 feet of soil) drilled 80x 3 inch holes x 12 inches deep with a
plastic drain pipe ...which did draw some comments from my neighbours  "Drilling for Oil Gazza".... ::)  and filled em with the aforementioned sand and peat and dropped 4 January King seeds in each and after netting the area the growth looks very promising..... ;)

Gazza

Scullion

I come across a good guide last week about growing carrots, with good details on preparing the soil, along with pictures and a video.

http://www.allotment-diary.co.uk/Exhibition-show-vegetable-growing-giant-onion-giant-carrots.html

Def going to try this out next year!! :-)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:54 by Yorkie »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Try what?  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
It's still not working then?  :lol:  :nowink:

Zippy

If you use peat free compost it will drain better than peat based compost - you must riddle the compost though to take out any big bits which will cause carrots to fork.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
funny that Zippy............. my experience has been the opposite, with the non peat staying dank and growing mushrooms :(
I'm sorry if we always seem to disagree  :blink:

xx
Carrots in Tubs

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 09:36
by surbie100
clip
carrots in tubs

Started by solway cropper on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 05, 2018, 21:36
by Tenhens
xx
carrots in tubs

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 07:53
by Plottered
xx
Carrots in tubs

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 23:17
by Growster...

Page created in 1.193 seconds with 38 queries.