Everything is so slow, especially beans :( Allotment anxiety..

• 5 Replies

jsgreen89

I'm having a little bit of Allotment depression at the moment. There are some good points:

• Beetroot is coming on quite well, a few have passed golf ball size
  • Garlic is still looking healthy since I planted the young plants in April

But on the other front:
  • Planted my French & Runner beans out aroudn 3 weeks ago, lost a few to cold and wind damage. Replanted around 6 plants, but they're just hardly doing anything. They don't look ill and there are new signs of leaves / growth at the top of each plant, but they're hardly making a run up the canes, they look almost the same size as when I planted, albeit with a few larger leaves
  • Tomato plants have suffered from leaf mould, removed quite a few leaves but don't want to leave a naked plant when the fruit is just starting :(
  • Sowed 3 rows of carrot seeds, about 1/4 of each row has appeared, what happened to the rest?

I'm especially concerned about the beans as last year I had no worries at all, although I can't recall how long they took to climb.. Am I being paranoid? Will they suddenly shoot up over the next couple of weeks?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
You don't give your location in your profile, (hint), but if the weather's been anything like ours, as soon as overnight warms up, the beans will shoot up, when it rains the carrots will probably pop up.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
You haven't put your location in your personal profile so we don't know what part of the country you live in (or even which country!) but most parts of the UK have had very cool temperatures recently (day and night at the moment  >:()

The tender crops like sweetcorn, beans, tomatoes and cucurbits all suffer to varying degrees in such conditions and they (and you!) just need to hang on in there until it warms up.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Glad we agree!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Had to happen eventually!

jsgreen89

Updated! :tongue2:

Ok well that's good to know. So even if carrot seeds have been underground for quite a while they can still appear several weeks after the others?

xx
Slow Beans

Started by brucesgirl on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2007, 10:17
by little sweetpeas
xx
Beans a little slow...

Started by BarrowBoy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 17:33
by Livinhope
xx
Slow

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 09, 2018, 16:10
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
Going slow...

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 22:09
by sazzy123

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 37 queries.