organic

• 13 Replies

Uela

organic
« on: June 09, 2011, 15:18 »
Hello everybody ! I'm a new, I've never had an allotment before. I've just started. I would like to grow the vegetables in a organic way. Please, could someone give me  advice of natural product to use against worms, insects ? thank you very much.

And also, I would like to know the moon diary for the sowing time, there 's in this website any moon calendar?

Thank you.  :)

p.s I'm Italian sorry for my bad English ! :tongue2:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: organic
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 15:26 »
Hi Uela & welcome to the site.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers to your post,  but would just like to say - don't kill worms - they are your friends!

As regards moon planting. This can become a very hot subject on this site and has been a matter of much debate in the past. You'll have to look on other sites for that information.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 15:36 »
Welcome to the site :)
There is an online moon planting calendar here

http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk/

Uela

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 15:49 »

As regards moon planting. This can become a very hot subject on this site and has been a matter of much debate in the past. You'll have to look on other sites for that information.

hello DD, thank you for your answer. I don't want to use chimical fertilizer, but only natural.
Also, why the moon planting is an hot subject?  :ohmy:

Thank you

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 15:54 »
The word "organic" is used in many contexts, (or at least it is in English!)

For instance, the latest Ferric Phosphate slug pellets are described as being approved for use by organic growers but the product is not chemically organic, nor is it truly sustainable in the strictest sense of the word; you will no doubt have to use your own judgement about such matters.  :)

I will move this thread to "Growing your own" since it is about growing vegetables.

Welcome, by the way!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 15:55 »
Some believe in it, some don't. Disussions on it have got close to being abusive in the past, so we always keep a very careful watch on a topic when the subject comes up.

Uela

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 18:36 »
Some believe in it, some don't. Disussions on it have got close to being abusive in the past, so we always keep a very careful watch on a topic when the subject comes up.

I see. Well, then I would like to talk with the ones who believe in it and ask them some advices, without offending who doesn't believe it. Is it possible?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 18:37 »
You can certainly try!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 09:20 »
Organic has different "shades".

I am not an organic grower, but I have not put any chemicals on my vegetable garden for 5 years. But if I had a disease / insect which threatened to wipe out my crop I would use chemicals tomorrow.  But I try not to.

I do use some Growmore fertilizer, which is not classed as organic.

But mostly I just use my own home-made compost and well rotted farmyard manure. But there I think some of the argument starts. Were the animals looked after organically? does the manure contain lots of  antibiotics that was given the the animals? or herbicides like aminopyralid which persist in the manure and kill subsequent crops.

If you use Chicken Manure pellets as a fertilizer did it come from factory-farmed chicken? or Organically grown chicken?

My approach is to know what has been used on my vegetable crops, so I know the provenance. If I do have to use a chemical, and lets say it says "Don't harvest for 4 days" then I wait 8 days.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 10:46 »
i haven't come across natural ways to kill insects but if you want to grow organic and don't want to use chemicals to kill off insects then best thing to do is visit your plot regularly and check of damage on your veggies, if any then search for them, most likely be caterpillars or birds. other way is to net your veggies from bird or insect damage. slugs and snails will only be there where soil is damp and warm. if your soil is dry and open to the sun then less likely to be there but keep an eye out.  i remember somewhere that the scent from certain flowers helps attract insects and keep them away from attacking the veggies something you can do research on.

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 13:26 »
You can certainly try!

You certainly could...don't be tempted to start a 'cat thread' at the same time though!

Welcome to the site - will be interesting to read your comments in the future, especially as there are a few of us who use 'Seeds of Italy' or are interested in growing mediterranian fruits and veg.

Swing Swang

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 13:29 »
i haven't come across natural ways to kill insects ...

There are plenty potatogrower, although that depends on your defination of natural, however where 'natural' becomes home-made the EU start to become heavy handed.

Seems like I'm being very naughty in making reference to three topics that lead to a thread being 'locked' in only two posts.

Quirte expect to have a smack-bottom from the mods (or is that another no-no too!)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 13:58 »

Now, now, don't be naughty children  ;)

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 14:14 »

There are plenty potatogrower, although that depends on your defination of natural, however where 'natural' becomes home-made the EU start to become heavy handed.

Hi Swing Swang,

Yes, natural in the sense home made using natural edible ingredients we may have around the kitchen, liquid/soluble, etc. i try to stick to growing organic myself too and i only use horse manure in the winter from the stables, during growing use groworganic fertilizer and nothing else. if something gets eaten by insects or birds then well... what can you do that's nature.

xx
Organic vs Non-Organic growing

Started by Jaybees on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2020, 11:28
by Jaybees
xx
Organic or not organic the truth at last.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 21:29
by Trillium
xx
organic or not?

Started by mrpotatohead on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 14:36
by fatcat1955
xx
organic

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 14:00
by kermit

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 38 queries.