raspberry fertilisation

• 4 Replies

Ropster

raspberry fertilisation
« on: June 09, 2011, 10:47 »
does anyone know if raspberrys self pollinate, the reason I ask is I am going to build a cage over mine to deter birds and I have loads of scaffold netting which will keep most insects out so if it does will I get no crop?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: raspberry fertilisation
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:12 »
Most raspberries are self-fertile and self-pollinating to a degree, but really need bees to maximise both the number and size of fruit, so I think you would be better advised to use cheap garden netting rather than debris netting.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 15:34 »
I get a lot of birds stealing my raspberries and currants so I plan to put up a fruit cage as well, but one with larger holes for the bees to get through. They really do make the difference for pollination. The holes will be just large enough for bumblebees to get through easily but not birds.

Tapper

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 21:04 »
Last year I kept a single raspberry under an anti bird net, the guage of the net was about 1/4 inch diam and this was sufficient to allow a fair amount of bumble's in to do their thing. My better half otherwise known as "the harvester" managed to get enough fruit from our single plant to make a few pots of wonderful jam. Tapper :tongue2:
Old soldiers never die ! They just go to the allotment.

Ropster

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 15:38 »
looks like I will have to let some bees in then, I might do some of the cage in debris netting and some with holes as I will have to buy the holey stuff and Im a bit short on Funds at present

sad
Butternut/Pumpkin cross fertilisation??

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 11:12
by A. Fallowfield
xx
How to ID Raspberry

Started by chris172 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 21, 2014, 18:30
by Yorkie
xx
Raspberry

Started by geoffwales on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2016, 13:51
by geoffwales
xx
raspberry

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 13:51
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 31 queries.