Spotted Snake Millipedes

• 3 Replies

Ternce

Spotted Snake Millipedes
« on: June 08, 2011, 13:25 »
Hello,  I am new to this site and am looking for some advice on onions. My allotment site have a problem with onions and garlic, slowly but surely they are all dying. When you pull them up the remaining roots are quite short as if eaten, and if you look carefully there are small wormlike creature on the bottom of the bulb. I have identified these as spotted snake millipedes, and am intending to treat the plot with nematodes.
My question is are these millipedes the primary cause of the crop failure, or are they secondary to something like onion white rot. In which case trying to get rid of the millipedes will be fruitless.

Hope someone can help!

Brewers

Re: Spotted Snake Millipedes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 14:27 »
are there any white (cotton wool looking) growths on the bulbs? or possibly large areas of small black seed-like growths? if so then you have allium white rot (which has just destroyed my crop of red, white and shallots)

if not, i guess it could be the millipede's. have you check the RHS website?

Ternce

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 17:41 »
Thanks for your response Brewers, you have summed up my problem. The odd one of the onions have a small amount of white fungal growth on the bottom of the bulb as well as the centipedes, but which is the chicken and which is the egg?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 18:23 »
Your original post doesn't quite make it clear (to me!) whether your whole allotment site has this problem?

Don't mix up millipedes (of which the spotted snake probably causes the most problems in this country) and centipedes, which are generally carnivorous predators so are usually regarded as "good guys."The spotted snake millipede is considered to be a pest of potatoes but opinions seem to vary as to whether it attacks undamaged roots and tubers or whether plants have to be damaged by something else first (often slugs in the case of potatoes.)

They can't actually cause allium white rot though, so if you've found evidence of that, I'm afraid it's probably that which is your main problem, although I would have expected to see visible evidence on all your affected plants.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

clip
Are these millipedes or wireworm

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 08, 2023, 14:33
by ricky
xx
Millipedes eating my spuds

12 Replies
Last post November 18, 2023, 09:44
by John
clip
Black millipedes eating my spuds

1 Replies
Last post November 07, 2023, 16:09
by JayG
xx
Big bad blight ( tomato) anyone spotted it yet?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post July 21, 2021, 12:01
by OakR

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 29 queries.