Pictures of my 'girls'

• 11 Replies

myfanwe

• Myfanwe
Pictures of my 'girls'
« on: June 06, 2011, 16:25 »
Hello all,

I am new on the forums and introduced myself on the welcome board. I am the proud owner of two chickens which my kids gave to me for mother's day this year. I have 1 ISA brown and one Black Australorp which were purchased for me as POL hens in May. We haven't got any eggs as yet, but the girls are happy and healthy and very spoiled! They get along well enough except when 1 acre of land full of billions of worms is just simply nowhere near enough for two hens, and then the feathers tend to fly!  ::)

Joyfull (I think is was) asked me to come here and post photos of my girls so I am now attempting to do just that.

These are not the first chickens I have ever been associated with, but they are the first that I can call my own. My dad raised chooks when I was growing up and I had the chore of feeding and watering them, and gathering the eggs, so apart from those things, I don't know terribly much, but am hoping to glean advice and knowledge here. OK here I go looking for photos.

This is my black Australorp (Blackie) who decided to build a nest under our orange tree this afternoon, but she kept forgetting it was a nest and getting confused and kicking dust up like in a dust bath. In between bathing, though, she was arching her back, pushing, and rolling from side to side, so I am interpreting all of that as imminent egg laying behaviour? Does anyone know if I am right, or was she just being a dill?

Both girls on the day we got them. It's amazing how much they have grown and filled out even in that short space of time. I don't have a name for the ISA Brown yet. I just tend to call her chook, or missus. I am not good at coming up with names.  :unsure:

brick22

Re: Pictures of my 'girls'
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 16:42 »
Hi myfanwe

Welcome to the forums, I'm new here too, I've been a proud hen owner for all of 9 days now. I'm loving it & can't believe how much fun we are all having (even after a shaky start). We have 1 Black Rock called Noodle and my little boy has a Maran called Clucky.

Your girls are beautiful, great photos, they sound like they are having a lovely time.

I'm waiting for our first egg as well, I look in the nesting box about 50 times a day when they are out feeding :D
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 16:46 »
lovely looking hens, what a wonderful prezzie.  :)

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 16:48 »
Hello and welcome!

Your girls look splendid and very content.

myfanwe

• Myfanwe
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 16:50 »
Hi brick,

Lovely to meet you. Yes, our girls are living the high life here in the country. I hope they'll show their appreciation with some eggs soon! I check every day too! Sometimes three or four times l :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 17:40 »
when they are ready they will often let you know by crouching (they think you are a cockerel and this is the mating stance - some people call it curtsying  :D) or sometimes also do a little dance paddling their feet. Their combs will become redder and they may keep going into the nest box several times a day.
When that egg arrives it will be the bestest egg ever  :D
Lovely looking girls by the way  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

jinty1911

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 19:10 »
Welcome to the site!!  :D You will find it very useful with lots of experienced people that will be able to help you with everything to do with chooks  :D

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 19:37 »
Welcome Myfanwy  :)
gorgeous girls !
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

evie2

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 19:55 »
Hello Myfanwy, lovely girl there, so when are you getting some more ;)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 20:13 »
I have an Australorp too, and love them to bits. Alice is a bit lax on the egg laying front, but she is just getting over a fox attack, so I'll give her some slack at the mo  :D
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

myfanwe

• Myfanwe
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 06:10 »
when they are ready they will often let you know by crouching (they think you are a cockerel and this is the mating stance - some people call it curtsying  :D) or sometimes also do a little dance paddling their feet. Their combs will become redder and they may keep going into the nest box several times a day.
When that egg arrives it will be the bestest egg ever  :D
Lovely looking girls by the way  :)

Oh both my girls 'curtsy' to me when I approach them quickly. That's interesting to know. :)

myfanwe

• Myfanwe
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 06:12 »
Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome to the poultry pages. I'm thinking of getting more hens once I get these two settled and laying regularly. I'd like more Australorps, I think. Eventually want to fill all four of the coops we have here with chickens. Not sure what we will do with all those eggs, though! I'd like two flocks, eventually perhaps one flock of Australorps and one of ISA's. Not sure if I will ever have a cockerel and raise my own. Baby steps yet.  :)

xx
Pictures of the girls

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 19:03
by Fat Hen
xx
Pictures of our girls.

Started by kimT on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 09:20
by kimT
xx
Pictures?

Started by Mrs Sparkle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 01, 2008, 17:55
by T C
xx
my pictures

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 22:42
by naturesparadise

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 38 queries.