Potatoes

• 6 Replies

newbiegrower

Potatoes
« on: September 07, 2007, 18:23 »
I would like to plant a salad potato or something similar to a jersey royal and a general potato suitable for baking etc can anyone recomend any good ones and when do I plant and do I need to earth them up and if so how do I do that.  This is my first year of having an allotment so very much a novice.
by the time i am old and grey i might be 100% organic

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 18:53 »
International Kidney are your 'Jersey Royals', but having gown them over here, mine tasted nothing like them. The answer lies in the soil!

Other good salad spuds are Pink Fir Apple & Charlotte.

I've always found 'Kestrel' to make reasonable size bakers, but there are many varieties popular with other members as no doubt you'll soon find out!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

agapanthus

Potatoes
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 19:24 »
I grew Picasso for the 1st time this year and was greatly surprised....massive tubers  approx 8-10lb per plant! They were a bit blighted...but not as much as the others....I also cut the haulms down fairly early in the year and they wer'nt affected at all. Will deffo be growing them again next year :)

WG.

Potatoes
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 19:50 »
Pink Fir Apple for the best flavour

Annie

Potatoes
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 21:26 »
Like Aggapanthus I grew picasso for the first time and also got blight so were harvested mid July but there was still a very good crop of good sized potatoes which seem to be general purpose.If harvested later then the crop would have been even better,and although the foliage was badly affected by blight non of the tubers have deteriorated in store.The charlottes,nice waxy potatoes salads also fared well and you can dig up a few small and let the rest grow and they keep well so a useful early salad potato.Pink fir is a late maincrop so this part of the country I wouldn`t normally harvest these until the end of this month(badly blighted this year)and produce a good, nutty,waxy salad type potatoes so superior to the supermarket ones,they also store well with no loss of flavour well past Christmas ,if you have resisted eating them that long.
  I`ve also tried international kidneys and got varied results and gave up when I found  varieties with better flavours.

muntjac

Potatoes
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 22:19 »
my picasso crop was brilliant also .loads of big jacket spuds ./also grew rouge that WG sent me down .agian good results
still alive /............

splodger

Potatoes
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 09:40 »
i like kestrel - great size and yeild - good all rounder

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
To go in after potatoes...

Started by Syrius H Kumquat on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 05, 2016, 10:02
by al78

Page created in 0.624 seconds with 36 queries.