Help - escapologists!

• 2 Replies

pandora

Help - escapologists!
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:01 »
My chickens used to free range until Mr Fox got too familiar, so now they are all in a very large pen, about 12m x 7m. The walls of the pen are 6ft high, with the bottoms buried to stop the fox digging. So far so good - the fox hasn't got in. However, the chickens are still getting out, and the fox takes them this way. I have lost 5 this year this way. We live in an ancient forest, so there are trees in the pen and outside of it. I thought they were maybe flying into the trees and getting out that way, so I have removed all of the lower branches. They are still getting out. The size of the pen means I can't put a roof on it - I did once before and a snowfall caused the whole lot to collapse in a mess.

So what can I do next? I'm fed up of chasing them round each morning, and even more fed up of finding piles of feathers.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Help - escapologists!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:06 »
are they able to fly onto the roof of their coop and then fly over?
You could try getting some scaffolders netting and fastening that over the top of the run - it will be possible to fix this around the tree trunks so shouldn't be too difficult and as it has fine holes rain wont gather. I have it over my sabelpoot run and in winter I get a broom and knock the snow off from inside.
Alternatively clip just one wing off each bird then after they moult clip the opposite wing  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
Re: Help - escapologists!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 14:07 »
would fruit netting work it comes i huge sizes and  it's cheap 2.00 pound odd for 2mx10m but they have other stuff that is sold by the meter. I just got some to cover my out side run to stop cats going in and messing :mad:
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 37 queries.