I'm new too

• 12 Replies

SmithyCottages

I'm new too
« on: June 05, 2011, 22:38 »
Hi I'm new here too. I am Andrew from Cumbria.

I found this site as I was looking for inspiration or advice about our site. When we bought the place the HIP (remember them) stated the cottage came with a plot the other side of the road. It is larger than the garden around the house. The estate agent had not listed it as the land was "useless" and there was no access. True you can't park on it  or build on it but to quote Groucho Marks you should always buy land as the ain't making it any more

Well a careful study of the bank revealed the steps and we have access to the cottage allotment.

The problem is that it has not been cultivated for 20 years hand last summer was covered in 7 foot high bracken. We spent last year sorting out the house

I am seeking advice about what to do with the bracken. Currently strimming it regularly taking precautions not to inhale or swallow any sap/debris
Andrew
Smithy Cottages

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: I'm new too
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 22:40 »
Welcome to the site Andrew and just think of what you'll be able to do with that area when you've found a way to clear it!

I'm going to move your question over to the General Gardening board as I think more people may see it there - although I'm not sure how many will have removed bracken  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 22:45 »
Welcome to the site!  :)

Years ago one of the quickest way of clearing bracken was to have a controlled fire but I'm not so sure that is allowed anymore. Even if it were you'd have to take care not to burn the entire neighbourhood  :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 22:53 »
I suspect it may come within the nuisance rules in an urban setting these days  :(

SmithyCottages

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 23:29 »
Thanks

We could not be described as urban. The plot is triangular with the road a dry stone wall and a wire fence as sides. The fence separates out plot from the next - this would have been the plots for the other two cottages but over the years these plots have been sold on and are cultivated to a degree. Each side of the triangle is approx 60 foot. It slopes downwards and faces south west.

As well as the bracken there are a number of trees. A big holly at the apex of the triangle, an old ash towards the bottom and a young oak towards one side (about 15 feet with a trunk about 5 inches.

There are a number of smaller bushes which I suspect might have been fruit at some time but the root stock has taken over - no sign of any fruit last year. Also lots of spring bulbs

So I guess burning and Herdwick sheep are out. My son won't let me have sheep anyway.

The plan is to return most of this land to its original function of growing food for the house.

But it will be bracken pie for ever

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 00:58 »
Bracken.... not easily removed although digging is one way.

Here's some info on a "control agent"

sion01

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 17:42 »
When I worked for the national trust we conducted experiments on the best way to control bracken in controled,fenced off bits on a side of a mountaine.I don't remember all the weird and wonderful things we tried but I do remember that the best organic method was to run over it with a roller(big one,a ton o'r two if memorie serves me correctly) a vibrating plate did the same job and was much easier to handle.

It seemed to make the bracken bleed and as it was expelling so much sap it really weakend it and after about 3 goes every 6 weeks it was gone.

There is a spray but I belive you have to be qualified to use it as it is highly toxic with no known antidote.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 22:03 »

That control agent is licensed for professional use and therefore not available to the amateur grower.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 23:20 »

That control agent is licensed for professional use and therefore not available to the amateur grower.

That's the end of that idea then  ::)

Loads of small bonfires and a bit of digging? (Buckets of water at the ready!!)

SmithyCottages

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 14:07 »

The roller idea is impractical as the land is 6 feet above the road which is reasonably busy

I guess the answer is going to be removal by hand of all fronds grown through other plants with the strimming of all the open spaces now that the spring bulbs are over and repeating this on a regular basis to weaken the rhizomes.

Over a few hours I cut all the fronds I coulds reach from the road which are growing through various bushes and easily filled a recyclying wheelie bin. I was not working that hard. I am told that the fronds can be composted on site and used in the garden is this true. I have some more council compost bins on order with a couple of water butts but the delivery is sometime before the next ice age.

Looks like alot of compost to me which is not a bad thing due to lack of topsoil

sion01

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 19:41 »
The roller idea was impractical when we tried it out too :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 00:03 »
Bracken can have a very sharp edge to it so wear gloves if attempting to pull it up.

I'm sure you all know this already.  ::)

SmithyCottages

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 16:43 »
Pulling may have a bigger effeect on the Rhizomes but I have been cutting it or strimming it.

When strimming I am using a P5 mask and proctecting my face as I expect repeated expousre to the sap could cause a nasty allergic reaction.

Oh and a bin full of cut bracken does not smell nice

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 36 queries.