Broody hen care.

• 18 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Broody hen care.
« on: June 05, 2011, 12:19 »
I picked up the broody hen yesterday evening and put her to bed staright away. So far I have just left her to it. I checked the broody coop and it is clear that she has had a drink and some corn this morning. My plan is to leave her until this evening when I will put our hatching eggs under her (she is sitting on some crocs at the mo).
If anyone has any tips on her to take care of her please share as I have never kept poultry before, this is all a new adventure for me.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Broody hen care.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 15:28 »
I would treat her for lice now and possibly again after the chicks hatch. Just make sure she comes off the eggs at least once a day (or even twice) so that she can eat, drink, pooh and stretch her muscles. Some will do this themselves - others need reminding.
When it gets close to hatching day just leave her alone. She will bring her chicks out when she is ready, so make sure you have chick crumb, a chick feeder and a chick drinker.
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 20:23 »
I' ve now dusted her with lice powder (very messy job), she didn't thank mefor it tho  :lol:
She now has her clutch of hatching eggs under her and seems to be sitting tight.

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 20:31 »
I use frontline - far easier  :lol:.
Fingers crossed she stays put. Remember she will need to come off the eggs at least once a day and in the early days she may forget where to go back to so you may need to place her back on the eggs. When lifting her off (if she doesn't get off herself) be careful as she may have an egg or two tucked up under her wing.
Whilst she is out she will probably chatter away to her eggs telling them and the other chickens that she isn't far away and the other hens may tell her off and remind her to get back to the unhatched chicks  :) :)

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 21:10 »
All as joyful says but I keep the broody in a cage with her broodie coop and for the first few days take her off her eggs once a day, usually at the warmest part of the day. If the weather is cold place a piece of old towel or an old flannel over the eggs to keep them warm. Shut her out of her coop and allow her to eat drink and have on very large and smelly poo. Once she has had that poo open up her coop again and she should go back to her eggs but if not you will need to gently guide her back. Once she knows the routine you will be batting her off when you are trying to re open her coop, she'll be that keen to get back to her eggs. Use a cat litter scoop to remove the smelly poo and dispose of it as you don't want her to be stomping in it the next day and tracking the poo back to her eggs on her feet.

Orchadlady.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 08:18 »
Thank you both.
We have no grass (due to building previously) so I have put a thin layer of miscanthus down to help make clearing up easier.
Joyful, does the frontline help with redmite? Do you use the same frontline that is used for cats? I always have some of the cat one here.
The broody hen is on her own (we borrowed her from a friend), we don't yet have any other chickens. The plan is that the broody will hatch our first. I hope that she wont mind not hav'ing any other hens around her for now.

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 08:23 »
the frontline I get prescribed for my chickens is the spray stuff (for dogs and cats) - part the feathers on the back between their shoulder blades then give a quick squirt and thats it). Broody hens become very prone to lice which is what it is used for - red mite need different treatment as they don't live on the bird but in the crevices of the coop.
The broody will be fine on her own as she will be preoccupied with her future chicks - have you given much thought as to what you will do with any cockerels that will hatch (and usually you will get at least 50% boys if not more)?

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 08:53 »
We have a livestock market not too far from here so I would try there if no friends wanted the boys. The chicks will be brahmas and orpingtons, I know the orps can be difficult to sex so did wonder if they could be used for the pot if they got quite big?  :ohmy:

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 09:02 »
be careful of taking your boys to a livestock market - some people go there to buy boys to use in cock fighting  :mad: (even though it is illegal it still goes on  :(),  so perhaps a rare breeds market might be better - they have two a year I think near us at Melton Market and they are for all pure breed birds.
Orps look big but are often just masses of feathers however even the smallest bird can be culled and used for meat - silkies etc can be spatch-cocked so an orp would be fine  :)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 16:45 »
Ok, will steer clear of the market. The good news is that I may have found a home for any brahma boys that hatch.

I feel a bit mean talking about eating my unhatched chicks but I think I'd much rather that than risk them being sold on for fighting.  :ohmy: At least I know it will be meat from happy free range chickens.  :mellow:

Another question...... Would it be a good idea for me to candle the eggs at seven days? (just to take out any that arn't viable).

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 17:18 »
I never do, but I think most people do and then again a few days later just to be sure  :)

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 19:28 »
I have just had my first eggs under a broody and none of them hatched, I wish I had candled them so at least she wouldn't have been sitting there pointlessly.  Good luck with yours I hope you are more successful than me  :)
I dog, 1 cat, 1 horse, 1 Light Sussex, 2 Speckledys, 2 Cuckoo Maran:)

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 19:29 »
but the one that died in the shell would have still shown  :(

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 19:32 »
Yes...I've blanked that one out of my mind :(  At least I would have known I only had a one in six chance of success rather than a six in six  :)

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 19:34 »
hey but now you have 3 little foster Cuckoo marans with mother hen  :D

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
muscovy brooding and care

Started by Indiana on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 10:21
by Sassy
xx
Care of ex-battery hens

Started by Sophie1918 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 19:52
by New shoot
xx
Greenthumb Lawn Care

Started by cammi on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 12:08
by Alby

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 37 queries.