Sooo impatient..

• 57 Replies

curries

• Experienced Member
Sooo impatient..
« on: June 02, 2011, 20:53 »
My broody (Connie) has been sitting on her eggs for 22 days now.  I hadn't candled them before but tried yesterday for the first time, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.  They just looked dark with an air sack at the end...is this a good sign?  I couldn't see any movement.

I have spent the last 3 weeks worrying myself silly about whether I am doing everything right.....panicking about all the possible eventualities when they hatch etc etc, this is so stressful...if I don't get any chicks after all this I will be devastated and I think my husband will divorce me if I try again :(

Now Cassie has gone broody and I'm tempted to get some eggs for her in case Connie's don't work...but then I could end up with two lots, but if I don't I mind not end up with any!!  Aargghhh.
I dog, 1 cat, 1 horse, 1 Light Sussex, 2 Speckledys, 2 Cuckoo Maran:)

bantam novice

Re: Sooo impatient..
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:56 »
Oh I know the feeling of waiting for eggs to hatch  ::)  My first egg didn't hatch until day 23 and then nothing until three days later when another hatched out!  If your broody is sitting tight then I would say that at least some of the eggs are viable.  She would roll out any eggs that were not.  It may be worth spray misting the eggs with water to help the hatching.  Wait until she goes out for her daily feed and pooh.  Good Luck and don't forget the pictures  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:14 »
Thanks Bantam Novice.....still nothing this morning!!  I have been spraying them for the last couple of days as I was expecting a flurry of activity on day 21, so i will carry on doing that....I just want some babies  :(

She is sitting very tight but was quite happy to do that on a bare rubber mat when I tried to stop her being broody in the first place so I'm not convinced she's that clever!! :)

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:17 »
If your hen is sitting on eggs you shouldn't interfere she will know what to do. you should not spray them :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 08:18 »
she will know (yes she is that clever  :)), so best to just leave her and her eggs alone (I never spray them). I have had some hatch at day 27 so don't worry.
Staffies are softer than you think.

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 09:12 »
I'm not sure whether the internet is a good thing or a bad thing... so much conflicting advice :ohmy: 

I have been taking her off them for 5 mins twice a day to have a drink and a nibble should I stop doing that too?  i don't think she would move at all if i left her to her own devices and she's quite thin  :unsure:

I have got everything crossed that some hatch  :)

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 09:29 »
I would leave her alone now, I take mine off (if they don't get off themselves) for the first couple of weeks but then leave them (from about day 17), they will get off every couple of themselves then every couple of days. Being broody really does take it out of them and yes they do go very skinny - this is perfectly normal.

evie2

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 11:16 »
Leave it to nature, it's been doing this for longer than we've been keeping chickens and it's very clever  ;)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 12:56 »
Thank you all, I will sit on my hands and keep everything crossed  :)

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 08:13 »
Well, still sitting on my hands (just about!!) and it's day 25 today.  Mum is still sitting tight but there is no sign of anything, not even a peep  :(

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 08:17 »
I can't believe how patient your being, I'd have eaten all my nails to the quick by now  :D

Good luck x
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 08:26 »
Believe me Opium Eater, it's killing me...and my husband is threatening divorce  ::)  What with broody chickens and a poorly horse I'm not the easiest person to live with at the moment.

I'm just going with the view that she will leave the eggs if they aren't viable but how long do I give her??

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 08:35 »
as long as it takes  ;)

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 09:55 »
Ah so sad  :( 

Day 26 and I decided enough was enough, I have removed Connie from her eggs as she really needs to start looking after herself, she is so thin bless her. 

I checked the eggs to see where it all went wrong and the first one I opened had a fully formed but dead chick inside, the other 5 were empty. 

I don't know what went wrong but am so sad for my girlie, she still wants to go back to them  :( :(

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 10:01 »
do you know anybody with any chicks that are just hatched in an incubator that could let you have a couple?

Page created in 0.534 seconds with 37 queries.