Plum Tree advise please

• 10 Replies

Settman

Plum Tree advise please
« on: June 02, 2011, 16:10 »
B&Q are selling Victoria plum trees for about £10,they are grown especially for small gardens it says and grow to about 13/16 feet in height.
Can i grow this in a big pot of about 55cm in width or does it really need to be grown in the ground.
It says its a heavy cropper but when i asked the man there he said it would need to go in the ground as i wouldnt get many plums if grown in a pot.
Im sure he knows his stuff but i thought id ask some experts?
Thanks in advance
Is God an Alien

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: Plum Tree advise please
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 16:19 »
I'm no expert but i think you would need a pot about 120cm/4ft across to stand a chance of getting a good crop of a tree that can grow to 16ft.
The pot would cost a lot more than your tree.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 17:44 »
The roots like to spread as wide as the branches, so I agree you'd need a very very big pot  :(

At 13/16 feet it's not on Pixy dwarf rootstock  :(  only a semi dwarf one, so not really for a small garden at all IMO

sion01

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 18:13 »
I've got victoria plums on a semi dwarf rootstock .they are only about 6 years old and are about 9 foot tall know so a pot would have to be massive.If you want to plant a fruit tree in a big/huge pot i'd to for fig as they fruit better their roots are restricted.

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 19:19 »
can't you stick it on the edge of the lottie

Settman

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 19:50 »
Thanks for all the info,i dont have have an allotment just a veggie patch at the bottom of the garden,the reason i was going to use a pot was that i have a new neighbour moved in at the end of our garden who is extremely tall,and when he gets out of his car his shoulders and head look straight in to our garden,so ive put a trelis up and need something to grow up and along it,saw this plum tree and thought that would look great,i dont have enough room to dig a hole there but enough room for a big pot,but hey ho  :)

david64

• Arakiel Genealogy
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 20:53 »
I have a plum tree growing in a 25 lt pot. But next year it will be put out in the ground. I would not expect it to grow very big in her. At the best you could maybe squeeze three pies out of it. If you do a Google image search for Redcurrant bush, you will see some in large pot, that is probably a good indicator of spread; although, plum trees may grow a bit bigger.

There is a Victoria plumb tree near me in a hedge-row that is maybe 5 ft. high and has a lot of comp. for space, but still has a decent yield of about 2 pies. If I was growing such a tree in a pot, I would use at least a 100 lt one.

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 21:29 »
victoia plumbs can produce pounds and pounds of fruit one they get going. An apple grown ballerina style might work better

Settman

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 09:19 »
How about if i gig a hole next to my compost bin and path which is a gap of about 2ft,which is where i was going to put the pot,would that be too restrictive too do you think.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 10:40 »
How about if i gig a hole next to my compost bin and path which is a gap of about 2ft,which is where i was going to put the pot,would that be too restrictive too do you think.

Think this would be OK provided the ground is not clay.
If it is, the hole will fill with water, which will not run away and the tree would die.

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 20:19 »
hi

that would be fine. my dad just dug a hole though the tarmac and rubble layers on his drive way and grew a plum against his kitchen wall. so as long as you feed it and it gets water - i think it will do pretty well.

clip
Apple Tree Advise please

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 22:03
by Ma Lowe
xx
Plum Tree

Started by RosieMay on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 21:45
by Pip Judgeford
clip
Plum tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2016, 14:48
by jaydig
clip
Plum tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2014, 13:05
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.902 seconds with 38 queries.