Blood Smears on a Layed Egg???

• 6 Replies

Jae Dawn

Blood Smears on a Layed Egg???
« on: June 02, 2011, 14:24 »
Hi,

I have 4 Polands and everyday get 2-3 eggs.  Yesterday there was 3 eggs but one had quite a bit of blood smeared all over it.  Is there a reason for that?  I checked them all out but didnt see anything wrong and they seem fine otherwise.  Any ideas??   :(  Thanks!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Blood Smears on a Layed Egg???
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 14:37 »
if the egg was laid over night/very early in the morning then check the coop tonight for red mite (they could have been feeding when the egg was laid) or perhaps it was a larger than normal egg so could have torn her inside a little bit.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jae Dawn

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 15:06 »
Hi,

I doubt that I have red mite I have an eglu classic and am very very diligent about cleaning and have never seen any evidence of them in the coop.  I clean every week and spray with Poultry Shield.  Guessing that it was a big one for her but will keep an eye out for any of the RM's.  Think I will get the stand that the Eglu Classic sits on out and have a good look at it.  Wonder if they would live there and crawl into the coop that way???   :ohmy:

Oh and thanks so much joyfull!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 15:22 »
redmite can live for months without feeding and can live on the ground  :mad: :mad:
so they could be there from wild birds.
What sort of stand do you have it stood on? If it is wood then yes this could harbour the blighters. If you could change this to a plastic table or stand of a similar height then this could eliminate this potential problem.
I doubt that you have them inside the eglu as when cleaning out your eglu you would have seen them when you took it apart (by the way no need to poultry shield the eglu - just wash, dry and if you wish a dusting of diatom  :D).

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 16:01 »
If I've had blood from red mite on eggs, its usually in tiny spots, rather than a large smear.  I think if its a large smear of blood then its more likely to be like Joy said a large egg thats torn her a little inside.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 18:58 »
One of my girls laid a bigger than usual egg, and it had blood smears on it - it was just down to the size, it was her first biggie / double yoker - probably was a bit of a shock to the system, certainly made my eyes water when I compared it with her normal size egg from the day before!!!

Only happened that once, though I was worried sick each day in case it was something else!

Abacus

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 21:38 »
One of my girls laid a bigger than usual egg, and it had blood smears on it - it was just down to the size, it was her first biggie / double yoker - probably was a bit of a shock to the system, certainly made my eyes water when I compared it with her normal size egg from the day before!!!

Only happened that once, though I was worried sick each day in case it was something else!

That happens occasionally - The first time it happened I was convinced that OH had planted a fake egg...
TTFN Jim
House Husband (Certified)
! Barnvelder Cockerel
1 Welsummer
1 Welsummer mix
1 Salmon Favorella
4 Rhodie Hybrids

xx
Blood smears on egg

Started by Maeve on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 16:52
by joyfull
xx
when an egg is layed do you clean it before use if so what do you use ?

Started by salt and pepper on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 13:47
by Dominic
xx
Hen not layed since being on antibiotics

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 16:30
by splash101
xx
3 layed their first eggs today

Started by babe on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 22:12
by babe

Page created in 0.684 seconds with 37 queries.