Making a Dust Bath!?

• 19 Replies

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Making a Dust Bath!?
« on: June 02, 2011, 13:05 »
Hey,

Might seem a realy daft question, but what is classed as a dust bath?

There is an area the chooks have scratched up that they try and sit in and fluff up feathers etc but im sure thats not quite right?

Am i supposed to build one?  If so how big/filled with what - does it need to be sheltered to stop it being a mud bath - or does it matter?

Cheers

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

Sassy

Re: Making a Dust Bath!?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 13:43 »
Sounds to me as though they have made their own dust bath and that is as it should be. If you wished to provide them with a bath when the weather is wet and /muddy you need something to contain play sand, dry soil, compost or whatever you wish to use. Some people do this and add diatomaceous earth or louse powder but it isn't usually necessary but is a good preventative. Some use a cat litter tray but he sides may not be high enough, an old baby bath should work or anything similar that you have to hand. You would need to have this under cover. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 13:52 »
I have given all mine a solid plastic sandpit full of earth in, and they still insist on bathing by the kiwi plant!  Don't worry about making a big posh place for them, just let them find their own bathing area or get a baby bath like Sassy said, mine also enjoy the flowerpots!
 ::) ::) ::) ::)
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 14:10 »
mine make their own usually where I will fall in  ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Raven81

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 14:39 »
I have had my hens just under two weeks and wondered the same thing, but they have made their own - just inside the doorway of the run which means every time I go in there I have to step over hens! They seem happy enough with it, and its better than anything I could make myself.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 19:01 »
Mine have made 2 (to stop arguements maybe!!!) - the first one, and deepest is just outside the pop hole into the arc - stupid place in my opinion, as they have to step down into it to get into the coop, but they seem to like it that way, so I am not interferring! The other one is 'developing' right in the middle of the run, where they can cover the entire place in dirt!!!

featherhead

• I love her.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 22:04 »
I was advised to use chinchilla sand by an owner of quails. I put a load of the stuff in a deep tray in the coop run but my bantams didn't touch it. Next I tried mixing in some compost but still no love!
My bantams are still new and am going to let them wander my garden for the first time this weekend (if its sunny) -I'll be keen to see where they like to bath.
There's no place like home <3

terri

• 1st egg
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 22:16 »
when i got my 3 they promptly destroyed one of my flower beds and made it a dust bath so i put sand in that with red mite powder ,they have since decided that under the bamboo is a great place to hang out and roll about in soil, iv just put them in a large run where they will live while im at work and im sure they will pick out a good spot in there tomorow that is ideal for them  :D
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 22:25 »
mine normally use a patch next to the green house but yesterday one decided to use a pot on the patio, much to the wifes dismay as it did have tulip bulbs in it,  they were scatted every ware when she had finished as was most of the soil.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:35 »
Mine have made several around the garden, mostly in the dry soil under leylandii (?) and in the winter they have the world's best dust bath - they take over the raised bed in the greenhouse!   :D
winter dustbath.jpg

evie2

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 12:22 »
Ours have several under the conifers, although Tallulah has made one right beside the lettuces ::)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Fisherman

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 21:35 »
I made one for them to prevent their run being trashed too quickly. Its about 600mm square x 200mm deep filled with sand, compost, soil etc. Works a treat and saves having to move their run too frequently.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 08:59 »
Hmm i think i will consider making them a small area see if they take to it - they are making one by the fence so in a few weeks i will have to full it back in again to stop them comrpomising the run!

evie2

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 19:15 »
Yesterday because Star has been such a good broody and never been far from the chicks since they hatched, I thought it would be nice to give her some dirt for a bath.  Star had other ideas, it was the perfect place to teach them how to scrat around ::)

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 20:40 »
   :D

xx
Making a dust bath?

Started by beki on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 13:19
by poultrygeist
xx
Dust Bath.

Started by parson on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 23:48
by raeburg
xx
dust bath

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 30, 2008, 18:21
by Fat Hen
xx
What do I put in a dust bath??

Started by Sopho on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 21:15
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 37 queries.