Behaviour

• 7 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
Behaviour
« on: June 01, 2011, 17:32 »
When I bought my girls late March, I talked to the chaps about what bedding to use, and the guy (older and seemed very knowledgable about hens) told me he uses a base of chopped stuff (dont know if its hay or straw (which he said breaks down nice and quickly and is absorbant) and a top layer of straw. Anyway, the girls have always been fine on it all, and nice and easy to clean out.

Last week, I didnt put the top layer on, just the chopped stuff, and all week they have been dragging it out into the run, and also sticking their heads inside the pop hole and eating it - is this normal?

I have just cleaned them out, and put a top layer on again this time.

Advice?

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
Re: Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 22:09 »
Hi SurreyLass

We bed our girls on shavings with newspaper underneath and they are forever stripping the paper and dragging it outside the monkeys! They do like to pick through it for bugs and stuff so perfectly normal. Maybe try hanging up a cabbage and other bits to distract them.

Otherwise you could put slats in the bottom of the coop with a tray underneath, then all the poo and bits will fall through the slats and they won't be able to get at it.

Hope this helps x

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 14:10 »
It could be that it is hay which they will eat and is not good to use with chooks as it harbours harmful spores. I know some on here don't like it but I use straw in the nest box and shavings where they roost and it works for me. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 15:55 »
I just went with what the guy recommended - they dont seem to be as interested now it is topped with a layer of straw again. I have an enormous sack of the chopped stuff, so dont really want to ditch it if I can help it!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 16:08 »
wonder if the chopped stuff is hemcore, arboise or rapport, these are all chopped plant stems - from the hemp or rape seed plant. All 3 are absorbant and rot down quickly. Very good stuff. I use hemcore and that is all - no straw or shredded paper etc (did try the shredded paper - cross cut not in strips - but it isn't very absorbant.
Staffies are softer than you think.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 18:07 »
The blinkin' sack doesnt say - but its a HUGE sack - I am wondering if its also a horse product???

Well, they havent been interested today, now that the straw layer is back on top

What funny animals they are - very very funny - and very addictive!!! I have had my girls for 9 weeks now, and I am totally in love with them!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 18:10 »
sounds like it could be hemcore - this is a horse product and sometimes does come in a plain clear wrapper from where I get mine from  :)

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 18:26 »
Its like a big bale type shape, in a clear plastic bag, very very compactly pressed, so much so its a bit of an effort getting some out! Probably 1 foot wide by 3 foot tall (ish - very bad at guestimates!!!)

xx
behaviour ???

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 16:04
by SoniaBA
xx
Odd behaviour?

Started by Carolf on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 13:47
by Carolf
xx
Behaviour

Started by Springlands on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 20:55
by Springlands
question
Strange behaviour - Help please?

Started by warrenscott on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 21:38
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 36 queries.