Greetings from the garden.....newbie here...advice on poop....

• 19 Replies

brick22

Hi everyone

Just wanted to say hello before I starting asking for advice & help. We now have 2 new chickens (hybrids Maran & Bluebell) to our household & I literally cannot believe we never did this sooner. (i had chickens about 25 years ago).

They seem to be settling in well although one likes to fall asleep outside rather than roosting indoors. I've been putting her in at night but so far she is very persistent about sleeping outside.

They are still in the run but we are thinking of letting them out in the garden for a roam about tomorrow, we have had them for 5 days now, hope this is not too early (or late).

OK.......some advice please....Both are eating well (layered pellets) but I have a feeling one (bluebell) might have worms as her poop seems to be very runny and quite a light colour compared to the other. Its also sticking to her feathers so I'm wondering if I should cut these away as they seem impossible to wash & I don't want to freak her out while she is still settling in, we were told they were both wormed about 2 weeks ago, is it possible to over worm? I have purchased some Verm-X but not used yet.

Thank you everyone for your time....x
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I always use Flubenvet for worming and, from what I gather, it wouldn't do any harm to worm the girls again, particularly if the problem hasn't cleared up.

I wouldn't bother trimming the feathers. Instead have you got a spare bowl that you can part fill with warm water, stand her in it & wash the poo off? I always add a bit of Hibiscrub but don't worry if you haven't got any. Once you've washed the poo off, pat her dry with a towel & then use a hairdryer on a warm setting to dry her off - my girls love it!

Springlands

Hullo Brick and welcome

Just because your hen's poo is runny does not necessarily mean that she has worms - hen poo comes in many forms - there is a whole thread in the Hen House section dedicated to pictures of poo and I have attached a link below which may be of use to you. However if you still think that she has worms best to treat her - check the directions carefully - for some worming products you cannot eat the eggs for a while after treatment. Hope all goes well.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

orchardlady

Welcome to the forum.

I would advise you to take the Verm -X back to the shop if you haven't opened it and get a refund. Use Flubenvet it works.

Orchardlady.

brick22

Thanks Springlands & Catsmuvva, great advice from you both & thank you very much for the warm welcome.

I checked Aunt Sallys thread & pictures as well & I'm not 100% sure (oh to be a novice), I'm going to keep a close eye on her over the next few days, I know its a massive problem for new owners so dont want to panic straight away, I guess I'm comparing one hen poo against the other which probably isn't fair.

Thanks again guys.

PS, thanks orchardlady, I've read a lot about Flubenvet today & everyone speaks very highly of it....another thing I've learnt today already. You can read all the books in the world but nothing come close to hands on experience (and a quality chicken forum) :o)

terri

• 1st egg
i let mine out on day 2 as they all seemed fine and then worried about getting them back in chasing them round the garden the following 2 nights then read on here that they will take themselves to bed when it starts getting dark which they did and stilldo i just pop out and shut the door
as for the poo it comes in all varietys and was something i obsessed about a bit at first thinking something was wrong ,it wasnt ,i had a look at the thread on heer about that to  this forum is a mine of info and there is allways advice given  :D
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

brick22

Hi terri
Yup, letting them out today, our 9 year old is more excited then on Christmas day!!!

Sassy

The move could have upset her digestive system and may settle. If not you could try her on a little pro-biotic yogurt for a few days to see if that will reset her system. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

brick22

Sadly our Bluebell died this morning, she had no food in her crop & the breeder said she may of been bullied by the other one.  She was very quiet around the Maran & I wonder if thats why she wouldnt go in the coop at night.

A very sad learning curve this early in to our chicken adventure but its a lesson we will remember for our next hen.

Thank you loads for all the advice so far.

terri

• 1st egg
 :( so sorry to hear about your bluebell i have one and they are lovely birds

brick22

Thanks terri

Its been a baptism of fire so far. I was really sad to lose our Bluebell, it was quite a shock only 5 days into our chicken management. We got a Black Rock as she was a little bit older and the farmer said she may be more resillient to bullying, the sad thing I dont think she is.
We kept them apart until about 10pm last night before putting them in the coop, there was no squabbling and all seemed well. Today she is VERY lethargic, I have not seen her eat although she has been drinking, she keeps laying down with legs out to the side for about 5-10 mins, then she jumps up and starts walking round again. I noticed a little bit of blood in the coop this morning and there was a poop in there with a little bit of blood in it as well. Not sure if its stress, bullying, a sick hen or what :(

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
Sorry to hear about  the bluebell.

We have always been informed to keep a minimum of 3 birds, supposedly this sort of spreads the bullying out from the top bird. So if you can afford maybe an idea to get 3 birds.

Regarding verm-x we have been using it for over 5 years now and havent had a problem yet--------------------touch wood!

We were advised to use this by our local poultry center, am i right in saying its the organic solution compared to Flubenvet?

Being a little lazy here but can any one do a quick run down of what  the pros and cons between using verm-x and Flubenvet are?

Cheers
Kenilworth

bantam novice

Hello there

So sorry to hear about your Bluebelle, Brick22  :(

Kenilworth, I am not an expert; however as I understand it VermX is an organic solution that people here have not found to be effective.  It does not actually kill worms if your hen picks them up.  It can help to some extent but the most effective way of ensuring that worms are kept at bay is using Flubenvet.  There is no egg withdrawal period for either.  Flubenvet will also tackle scaly leg mite that I don't think VermX will touch. 

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
Hello there

So sorry to hear about your Bluebelle, Brick22  :(

Kenilworth, I am not an expert; however as I understand it VermX is an organic solution that people here have not found to be effective.  It does not actually kill worms if your hen picks them up.  It can help to some extent but the most effective way of ensuring that worms are kept at bay is using Flubenvet.  There is no egg withdrawal period for either.  Flubenvet will also tackle scaly leg mite that I don't think VermX will touch. 

Hi bantam novice

When you say it "doesn't actually kill the worms" do you mean that vemrx is more preventative rather than reactive?

We do put cider vinegar in their water which i understand can help with keeping worms and other pests at bay

Bit concerned that it seems to be such a no-no here. Like I said we were advised to use it by our local poultry center which has a outstanding reputation localy and we dont seem to have had a problem in the 5 years we have used it?

Interesting stuff,  wondering if we have just been lucky or whether there is something in it or without wanting to sound rude personal conjecture on here?

Looks like it may be time to do a litttle research and asking around, may see if i can find  a local vet to ask?

Thanks again
Kenilworth
Any more advice/experiences would be hugely helpful?

oh and sorry to Brick22 for highjacking your thread.................sorry

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Sorry to hear about your problems and your new girl, I don't know if I'm speaking out of turn but how reputable is this farmer you are getting your hens from?  Chickens have a pecking order and the bottom one will get pecked etc did you see this behaviour? it can be quite vicious, also have another feeder for the quieter hen, but to get two ill birds seems a bit strange/unlucky, I hope your hen perks up and it all gets better for you. :(

xx
poop question advice please

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2015, 14:05
by danfinn1
xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Newbie - dividing garden/fixed run

Started by emmaellis on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 23:41
by emmaellis
xx
Newbie Needs Advice

Started by kyz1981 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 17:34
by kyz1981

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 37 queries.