Lack of worms

• 26 Replies

Springlands

Re: Lack of worms
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 06:44 »
Why's that then, Zippy?

Cos digging disrupts the finely balanced ecosystem that worms and other critters create, it also cuts many worms in half (and both ends die) and the whole system has to start all over again.

But I think you jest at my expense Mr DD!  ;)   :tongue2: :lol:

Oh Zippy - how could you think that Mr DD would do such a thing.  ::) ::) :lol: :lol: I know about the no dig theory Zippy but must say that I am a bit skeptical about it in practice. Because the area in question is divided into four smaller patches perhaps I should experiment with no-dig and dig areas just to see what happens.

Endymion - you have described my new veggie patch perfectly and I intend to do what you did on two of the beds (I might try Zippy's suggestion for the two others that I had intended to leave fallow for this year with the intention of building up their nutrient content. Thanks for your suggestions.

Zippy

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 08:32 »
A pleasure :-) I like it when folks are willing to try something new. I just planted out some sweetcorn on a no-dig bed. The composty stuff is all over the top and I planted through to the firm bed soil underneath so the plants are firmly rooted from the start.

I agree about the horse manure. It used to be the best stuff for enriching the soil but now it is suspect from wherever you get it as the herbicide can enter the animal from meadow, bedding or hay feed or silage - too many variables.

My manure comes now from a local lady who has 100 guinea pigs and I get two dustbin loads of hutch clearings every week! Along with coffee grounds from Starbucks, mowings from friendly neighbours and my own compostings, I'm well stocked with no-dig goodies.

Each to their own DD and whatever works - and that's something I wouldn't have said a year ago so something is working!

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 23:10 »
Good luck Springlands, I'm sure it'll work

I agree about the horse manure. It used to be the best stuff for enriching the soil but now it is suspect from wherever you get it as the herbicide can enter the animal from meadow, bedding or hay feed or silage - too many variables.
We're very lucky because we're not far from an area where there are loads of ponies that never see the inside of a field, so we know we're safe when we take some supermarket bags with us when we go for a walk, and bring them home full. Don't need gloves to pick it up, just another carrier bag over your hand because it's mostly fairly dry - especially now when there's been negligible rain for absolutely ages.

Swing Swang

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 07:21 »
And looking to future years, according to Joy Larkham straw mulches are supposed to be one of the best things for encouraging worms too.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 08:14 »
I get my horse muck from a neighbour who keeps horses. Even get it delievered in bags! It's tried & tested, but no way can I ever cover my plots (600 m2) in the stuff, so it's digging for me and supplements of chicken manure pellets.

I've still got lots of worms though and I actually enjoy the act of digging and seeing a blank canvas appear before my eyes.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

savbo

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 11:57 »
I used to live in Co Derry and we had very few earthworms which I put down to LOTS of NZ flatworms and acid sandy soil...

Almost every bit of plastic or fabric has a curled up liver-coloured flatworm under it. After 5 years of snipping with scissors they weren;t as many and with lots of dung and some lime things started to get better...

Springlands

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 11:57 »
Update on the worms - was digging over one of the patches yesterday for about the third time and I found a worm. Just one but it is a start.  :D

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 22:43 »
Update on the worms - was digging over one of the patches yesterday for about the third time and I found a worm. Just one but it is a start.  :D

That's good - it'll keep the blackbirds happy!

Springlands

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 06:44 »
 :D :D

brown thumb

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 07:47 »
i was always told if a worm was cut in half it grew anew half is that wrong  :unsure:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 07:51 »
As wrong as much as if you were cut in two, both halves of you would live.

It'll survive having a bit cut off it, but only the bit with the "saddle" will survive.

As you've not got a saddle, I wouldn't give much for your chances!  :lol:

Springlands

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 10:49 »
 :lol: :lol:

My worm did not get cut in two - once I realized that it was there I was very careful.  :lol: :lol:

xx
redcurrants or lack of?

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2017, 06:02
by spadework
xx
Aubergines or lack of?

Started by Allotment Angel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2007, 09:27
by Allotment Angel
xx
Lack of apples

Started by andimac on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 30, 2015, 12:14
by Anton
xx
lack of slugs?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 19:05
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 36 queries.