Lack of worms

• 26 Replies

Springlands

Lack of worms
« on: June 01, 2011, 13:20 »
I have just had an area of ground within my garden dug over (at was glyphosated a couple of months ago).It is divided by paving stones into four manageable plots. However there was not one worm to be found. The area of ground was last used as a veggie patch about 15 years ago and has just been grassed over since then but now that I am retired I really want to plant more veggies. The soil is not in good condition and needs care and attention - I am going to incorporate sand and compost to open it up + some BFB.

One of the guys who did the digging suggested that I could purchase worms over the internet - has anyone ever heard of this or have any other suggestions for improving the soil. 

mobilekat

Re: Lack of worms
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 13:24 »
Sounds like the soil is pretty barren at which point there is nothing for the worms to eat, so they move out!

If you add compost- preferably home grown and manure you will invite them back in, by providing dinner (and most manure and compost has a good few living in it!)

As the soil improves the worms will appear (well they have in my garden!)

I have also been known to move worms from one part of the garden to another!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 13:49 »
Find your local livery and get soem fresh horse field manure adn turn it in.... I reckon my plots have got 10x the worms they had last year when I moved into them

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 13:50 »
I've got some completely self contained raised beds sitting on concrete, but within a year of filling them with bought in top soil that I know didn't have worms in it, they were full of worms. I guess they must have come in on the garden compost I spread on top at the end of the year, but sometimes it seems like worms just kind of appear like magic, doesn't it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 15:00 »
I find just the digging and allowing the air and rain in, and growing some stuff, will encorage the worms to return.
It did in my garden, and was even better the next year after some of my home made compost was dug in :)

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 20:17 »
Thanks for the responses everyone - I think that I am going to leave two of the beds completely fallow this year and try to build up the fertility for next year. With the other two beds as I plant the beans and tomatoes I will fill the planting holes with compost and just see what happens - there is nothing to lose but some of my time and maybe some good veggies to gain.

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 17:53 »
If the soil is dry (and i suspect it is) the worms would have headed to deeper moist soil.
i dug over my parents new plot 2 weeks ago and only saw 2 worms.It was manured heavily last year,i think once we get a bit of rain the worms will return.
My mate said he saw a blackbird eating his cabbage last week, this suggests to me they are hungry (maybe due to lack of worms to be found at the moment).

sion01

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 18:08 »
Thanks for the responses everyone - I think that I am going to leave two of the beds completely fallow this year and try to build up the fertility for next year. With the other two beds as I plant the beans and tomatoes I will fill the planting holes with compost and just see what happens - there is nothing to lose but some of my time and maybe some good veggies to gain.

Instead of leaving them fallow you could sow a green manure.If you sowed one now and dug it in the autumn and then spread some manure on it you'd have a fertile patch by next spring with lots of big fat juicy worms.It's seems a pity to let it go fallow again after youv'e sprayed it with weedkiller once already.

Zippy

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 18:34 »
It has already been dug - so:

Dump a whole load of horse manure all over the beds (more than you think you'll need) and leave it there.

Plant what you are going to plant this year into and through the manure and most importantly - never dig ever again!

I guarantee worms so big and fat you will be scared!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 18:37 »

Plant what you are going to plant this year into and through the manure and most importantly - never dig ever again!

Why's that then, Zippy?  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 18:42 »
I presume New Zealand flatworms are disregarded as a cause, Springlands?

"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Springlands

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 19:31 »
I presume New Zealand flatworms are disregarded as a cause, Springlands?

Argyllie - I have searched the garden for flatworms in all the places they are supposed to hide -  under pots etc but have never seen any trace. I really think that the soil was just so compacted and wet that it was not suitable for worms. It really needs a lot of work to get it into good growing soil.

Zippy - I could get lots of manure but I am wary of it because of the risk of contamination. But I do have lots of chicken manure and will use that along with my garden compost.

Thanks again everyone.

DATA311

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 22:50 »
Once you have composted your garden and you want to give it an early boost with worms, you could introduce them yourself, but that could prove costly, going by the bulk of worms required depending on size of plot.....?
There are plenty of sites out there selling all sorts of worms, ie; brandlings, reds, lobs etc,
here's one anglers choice web site to be going on with...

http://www.bucketofworms.co.uk/
Nil illegitimi Carborundum

Zippy

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 23:28 »
Why's that then, Zippy?

Cos digging disrupts the finely balanced ecosystem that worms and other critters create, it also cuts many worms in half (and both ends die) and the whole system has to start all over again.

But I think you jest at my expense Mr DD!  ;)   :tongue2: :lol:

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 00:49 »
We turned an area of grass into a veg patch this year (we had previously mixed our veg in with flowers, but decided we needed more space). The ground seemed sterile, no worms at all, same as yours. It's heavy, stony, clay that's been lawn for many years. (The people before us only grew grass and weeds.)

We bought loads of split bags (half price) of almost any sort of compost and lots of very cheap grow bags, and mixed everything in as well as the complete contents of our compost heap. We've now got some very happy blackbirds and robins digging up worms, and also some veg that are doing quite well.

xx
Lack of water

Started by Humbledoor on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 08:56
by Christo
xx
Sweetcorn.....or lack of it

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 09:39
by JayG
xx
redcurrants or lack of?

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2017, 06:02
by spadework
xx
Aubergines or lack of?

Started by Allotment Angel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2007, 09:27
by Allotment Angel

Page created in 0.599 seconds with 39 queries.