New Grower/Daft Qustions

• 7 Replies

spursn17

New Grower/Daft Qustions
« on: June 01, 2011, 11:03 »
Hi all, I'm brand new to allotment growing so my questions may seem a bit daft.

I've got some Kale, Cabbage, Broccoli, and Cauliflower nearly ready to plant out. Now I know I have to protect these from butterflies so I'm going to build a cage to net over. How high do these veggies grow, and how high would you build the cage?

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
Re: New Grower/Daft Qustions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 11:15 »
you can build a simple 4 or 6 post bamboo cage (depending on the length of the area you want to cover). get metre long bamboo put a small split on one end of the bamboo with a knife and in the slit slide in your net to hold it in place and job done. all you need is a big net that will go over the top and run down the sides. half a metre or a metre long bamboo would be fine. at the bottom, get some broken bricks and put them in place.

when finished it can be easily disassembled and put away.

any more questions fire away or have a search on the forums, there's plenty of info here and on the web.  ;)

hope that helps :)

PG
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:18 by potatogrower »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 11:19 »
Make sure you use netting fine enough to keep them out though (if you search for "debris netting" on this forum you will get about 11 pages of threads on the subject!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 11:21 »

No such thing as daft questions (with or without an 'e')  only daft answers.  :D  Keep 'em coming.   Cheers and welcome.   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

stompy

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:22 »
I personally use blue 25mm water pipe to make hoops over the pllants and drape debris netting over them and anchor it with old milk bottles filled with water/.

You can also use canes but place a tenis ball over the end of it (cut a small hole in the ball so the cane goes into it) to stop it going through the mesh.
Place a few of these around the plants and drape the net over them and anchor the mesh with once again old milk bottles filled with water.

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 13:12 »
I'd go four feet wide adn five feet high.... 20mm water pipe and 2m wide netting should do, bigger is better.... I'll be knocking up somethign enormous to cover the entire bed but it will double as a fruit cage at the right time of year (when the winter brassicas are still small they can be in a smaller tunnel.,...

chrisc

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 13:25 »
When do the brasicas start to get eaten to deathg by the caterpillers, mine seem to be ok at the moment uncovered?

Many thanks

jools

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 13:50 »
About a week after you notice the white butterflies.... depends on area and local conditions....

sad
Hello from veg n posy grower

Started by veg n posy grower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 22:59
by sunshineband
xx
Impatient fig grower

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2022, 17:05
by Learnerlady
xx
Happy grower!!!!

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 18:22
by digalotty
xx
Strictly veg grower?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 28, 2019, 23:11
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.806 seconds with 38 queries.