Advice needed please for a novice!

• 7 Replies

jgsmuzzy

« on: August 11, 2006, 21:04 »
Hi all,

I really need your advice.  I have got the following garden (which, to my shame, I have hardly touched since we bought the house 2 years ago).  I now want to assign part of it to growing my own veggies etc.

Now, before I get totally berated for the state of my garden, the reason for wanting to do something with it is because of my little son, who I am sure will enjoy planting and watcing the plants grow.

If you take a line from the right hand edge of the shed back to the camera, the area to the left is the area I want to use as it gets the most sun.

My request, is how and where to start??  Any help would be much appreciated, and if you live close to me, I will get you a beer in!

Many thanks in advance

James (and Leo)

An absolute novice!

noshed

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 22:20 »
Unless the ground is really hard - start digging!
You could divide the area into terraced beds and do one at a time. Build a compost heap for all the grass and weeds you dig up.
You could plant some salad stuff as soon as you get a bit cleared.
Good luck
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

jgsmuzzy

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 22:32 »
Thanks!  The compost heap is already started (about 4 months ago), it is behind the camera!.

Hmmm salad stuff.  Nice idea, are there any particular types that would do well being planted this late?

Ta

James

noshed

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 22:46 »
Lettuces and any "mixed leaves" type things. Spring onions. You can also plant cabbages to over winter (or eat in the autumn). Good old radishes, if you like them. Swiss chard and spinach will probably be OK too.
You could always bung a bit of fleece over stuff when it gets a bit colder.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 09:09 »
Since this is a garden you really want it to be attractive as well as productive so you could be a bit different to an allotment grower.
You've got a fence (left of shot) so why not grow some espalier or cordon fruit on against the fence.  Leave a narrow path before putting in beds for the veg.  It's difficult to work out how large the space is, but it doesn't look too big. To maximise yield from space, a couple of strawberry barrels - there was a good link to a supplier on the forum, use the search button - and all kiddies like strawberries.
Since you've let the garden go a bit wild, I think deep beds would be best for you. They are easier to control and weed. You can do a bed in half an hour so it doesn't seem such a huge job - that you keep putting off.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Oliver

Old garden into paradise
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 15:14 »
Quote from: "noshed"
Unless the ground is really hard - start digging!
You could divide the area into terraced beds and do one at a time. Build a compost heap for all the grass and weeds you dig up.
You could plant some salad stuff as soon as you get a bit cleared.
Good luck

Well yes, but someone on here advocated a pen and paper first and this is what I would agreed with.

Draw out your garden to scale, add the fixed features - your shed, the raised bit on the left, any plants you want to keep. Then mark out your paths, beds and grassed areas. Plan where you want your veg garden - on the sunny side - and out of reach of the football?

Like John says, you want it to look nice and be suitable for youngsters to play in too.

Once you have planned you can start the harder work like making the deep beds. Planning, like carpentry - measure twice, cut once - will save a lot of wasted effort and avoid disappointment. Trite but true! :?
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

jgsmuzzy

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 21:58 »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I have been working on the garden in the evenings this week, as you can see, progress is starting to be made!  The part I have dug (about 6' x 8') was just an "advance" foray to see what the soil was like.  Heavy is the answer, so I an going to get a load of rotted down manure and mix that in.  One good point though is that there are a huge amount of worms, so that is nice!

The log "fence" had been created by removing them from their previous homes (you can see them by the mound and around the cherry tree on the first pic.

I am doing this in stages, I now need to hack back all of the vegetation to the fence, also, I need to re-landscape the mound near the shed (I think this came about when the pond was installed, as that is now going to be removed, the earth can jolly well move back!

Oh, and the conifer has gone as well, bloomin thing was like a triffid.

Again, thanks for the advice, it is good to know that there are people out there that can lend a virtual hand! (shame that virtual hand cannot do any digging!)

Before :

Progress being made :

Oliver

Phew!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 12:39 »
Quote from: "jgsmuzzy"
shame that virtual hand cannot do any digging!)
Well done - a good start! The virtual hand (paw) is supporting you, but gets virtually tired just thinking about what has to be done! Keep it up though, you will be so thrilled when it all comes togehter.

xx
Advice for novice please

Started by leighma on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 11:37
by noshed
xx
a little of advice for a novice please.

Started by k4t1e195 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 22:20
by k4t1e195
xx
Advice please for an allotment novice!

Started by Green Goddess on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 22:04
by Trillium
xx
Advice for novice in Spain?

Started by Sarah C on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 15, 2007, 16:56
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 28 queries.