Celery and birds.

• 2 Replies

Salmo

Celery and birds.
« on: May 29, 2011, 00:32 »
I have planted out 20 good strong celery plants about 6 inches high. What I suspect is a pigeon, but could be jackdaw, has pulled all the leaves and stems off 2 plants. What is really annoying is that they did not eat what they pulled off but just left it lying there.

Slugs are usually the problem. I have never had a problem with birds. All now netted.

I think it might be because it is so dry. Seem to have missed the few wandering storms.

Anyone else having similar problems?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Celery and birds.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 10:58 »
yes...........in a nutshell !

They seem to be pecking at stuff that they usually leave alone on the plot and in the garden :(

Sparrows are pecking lumps out of my pea tops and I've seen them at my chard as well this morning..........and there is water out for them, in the garden  >:(

Grubbypaws

Re: Celery and birds.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:27 »
The only thing that my very healthy population of sparrows dont eat is the coriander, carrots and  spring onions. Absolutely everything else has to be netted.

Because of the high winds I have tied some of the netting down with garden string. This morning one very energetic sparrow was having a full on dug of war with one piece of string and managed to undo the bow. Husband says that it was gathering nesting material but I KNOW that it was trying to get in  >:(

xx
Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 10:26
by Snow
xx
Celery

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 05:35
by Oliveview
xx
Celery

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 21:16
by gobs
xx
Celery

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 16:30
by gobs

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 30 queries.