Sowing biennials

• 7 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Sowing biennials
« on: May 28, 2011, 21:43 »
I want to sow some biennials - lunaria (honesty) and sweet williams and all the packets tell you to sow in a seed bed.  However, I always prefer to sow into seed trays or modules.  Can you do this with these plants, or is there any particular reason why they have to be sown into open ground?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Sowing biennials
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 21:52 »
I don't know the specific answer but two things spring to mind.

Firstly, as they are biennials, they will obviously grow over two seasons - one for the vegetative growth, and then next year the flowers.  That's a long time for them to be in one place, particularly if you have something more productive / pretty / colourful this year in what will be their final place.  I'd imagine that the emphasis on the seed bed is more so that they are out of the way until their time has come to shine, rather than a particular emphasis on open ground vs pots.

Secondly, as they will be in modules / pots for a long time, you would need to ensure that the modules etc are big enough and have decent compost in - multipurpose probably wouldn't do for that length of time as it dries out easily and is low in nutrients.  I'd suggest a John Innes #1 or 2 compost.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:21 »
See what you mean Yorkie.  What I was thinking of doing was to sow in seed trays or modules and plant out the strongest plants on the allotment to avoid having gaps in the nursery bed where some have not germinated and also avoid having to thin out.  I would probably then leave the sweet williams on the allotment for cutting next year and maybe transplant the lunaria to the flower beds at home in the autumn.

Would the lunaria mind being transplanted twice do you think?

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 19:03 »
Lunarias are pretty tough so they won't mind being moved again. Here's more info on them:
http://www.plant-biology.com/Lunaria-Money-plant.php

I prefer to do sweet williams outside so they can benefit from more soil for the roots and less tendency to dry out. Plus, they love the sun. If it's new seed, you usually get very good germination so I never worry about bare spots.

sion01

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 20:25 »
If grown sweet william for years by starting them off in modules ,hardening them off and then planting them out in their final position ,with no i'll effect

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 22:12 »
Thanks guys - I'll try both in modules.  I've also got some bellis seeds so I'll do those as well. 

I've got to remove some of this year's bellis plants from pots to replace them with summer bedding.  They have got a bit of powdery mildew, but I thought if I dead headed and removed the oldest leaves and then put them in pots in a shady corner, they might be okay for replanting in autumn as well.  Quite often you can get a couple of years flowering out of biennials can't you?

sion01

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 17:31 »
I don't see why not just that they might not flower quite so much.I missed the compost heap when throwing suposidly spent sweet william on it last year.They must of landed in the wildlife area( :Djungle) that I have behind it and their coming up a treat again this year with no planting or care what so ever.
I also noticed my neighbour has great anttirhinums growing out of a wall ,while mine that I started from seed in late winter are looking quite sickly with this cold weather.Sods law ::)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 20:58 »
I think what it is - a lot of them are effectively perennials but most people grow them as biennials as they flower better the 2nd year and then get progressively weaker (or less floriforous (is that the right spelling?) 

xx
Where to germinate biennials

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 14:33
by compostqueen
xx
lying nurseries? Annuals,Biennials or perennials

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 19:17
by Yorkie
xx
sowing seedlings

Started by clarkey95 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 15:11
by Flowerpower136
xx
Sowing Geraniums

Started by fatbelly on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 12:07
by DD.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 37 queries.