Growth on Peas / broad beans?

• 3 Replies

davesellars

Growth on Peas / broad beans?
« on: May 27, 2011, 12:18 »
Hi,

I have some peas growing and coming into flower... However they are all of 5 - 8 inches tall!  I have no idea as to what type they are - I bought them loose. :tongue2:   is this correct for them to be flowering when they are so small? Or are there some types that produce peas on tiny plants?  They've taken a while to get going once they were planted out and were looking rather sad at one point after being hit by a frost...

Also, Broad beans seem to be the same..  I must have bought dwarf plants i think...  flowering well now but they are only 1ft tall (at best).

Or have I got something that's stunting the growth?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Growth on Peas / broad beans?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:50 »
That's stretching (or contracting  :unsure:) it even for dwarf varieties!

Plants will often not grow to their normal size if stressed over a long period but will still try to complete their life cycle rather than die without setting seed.  :(

Outdoor plants have had a lot to contend with so far this year; you can only keep them watered and possibly also fed and hope for the best.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 13:07 »
as I posted a few days ago ................ my sugarsnap peas have flowered and podded up already and only about 2ft high, they are usually waist high.
I've picked them all and they are headed for the freezer, but the yield is very much lower than previous years, and that's despite watering quite well (or so I thought)  :(

Now have to decide if it's worth growing some more, or to try something different  :unsure:

davesellars

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 13:45 »
Snce they weren't looking so good I sowed a new batch a couple of weeks ago direcly in the ground (peas and beans) - both seem to coming up quite well...   Hopefully should do alot better than the first lot!

xx
Peas and Broad Beans

Started by Andy J on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 15:41
by titch
xx
Broad beans & peas together?

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 23:29
by vegypete
xx
Broad Beans & Peas.

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 30, 2017, 21:32
by greenjay
xx
Broad beans, peas and mice

Started by janeheritage on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 20:34
by gobs

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 38 queries.