Smelliest liquid feed imaginable...?

• 21 Replies

monkeywobbler

• Experienced Member
Re: Smelliest liquid feed imaginable...?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 22:32 »
I can vouch for rhubarb leaves.
I can confirm that in my rudimentary experiment, it helps to keep cabbage whites away. However, this may be because there seem to be fewer around this year - either that or the smell is so bad it's repelling them for miles around.

I'm not joking - I've had people retching while I spray the stuff. It got on my legs when I was spraying the other day and my cat wouldn't come near me until I'd had a shower.

Matthew Gayles

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 22:38 »
I made a rhubarb and nettle tea at our allotment in a plastic bin,
im a nurse and ive smelled some seriously horrible things and it is definatly comparable.
I was a little stupid and it was stored in the shed - wow that was a mistake so it lives at the very bottom of the allotment now. I was informed by my brother in law, a environmental science student, that rhubarb has insecticidal properties and is great on brassicas! So the stench is a by product and something in it keeps bugs off.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 23:02 »
I think it's time just to post a reminder about home made pesticides from John, the site owner  :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=65430.0
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 23:52 »
I have a tub half filled with last years goose poo, nettle leaves and some other random stuff topped off with mostly rain water. Its not too bad until stirred - then the neighbour can smell it and she is 50 yards away.

My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 05:20 »
Interesting comments about mixing various teas...

As I'm a bit limited for space on the plot, would it be a good idea to pour the four gallons of nettle tea in with the 6X liquid feed? Of course, I'll dilute it as suggested when I eventually use it (hopefully when there's nobody around...)

BTW, it's easy to make a basic filter for these jobs. Just take a plastic milk bottle, cut it in half, and fill the section at the top end with an old rag. (Obviously you don't want the round plastic top)! Hold it over your watering can or whatever, and decant the smelly/composty liquid though the rag! It takes out most of the debris, insects etc., that always gets into site-based receptacles like baths, tubs etc.

Bailz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 09:50 »
do you guys dilute your ruhbarb tea or use it straight from the tub. cheers Neil
Cheers Bailz

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 09:29 »
The comfrey round my plot is over waist high, so I'm looking to make some feed for the beans and tomatoes later in the summer... but this talk is making me dubious.

My entry for the smell contest is slug-filled beer traps. They were effective, but just not worth the torment of clearing them out.

xx
Liquid Feed?

Started by kittenkirst on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 19:08
by kittenkirst
xx
Liquid Feed

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 14:14
by Aidy
xx
liquid feed

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 08, 2017, 16:58
by m1ckz
xx
6x as a liquid feed...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 12:37
by Growster...

Page created in 0.656 seconds with 37 queries.