Smelliest liquid feed imaginable...?

• 21 Replies

Growster...

Smelliest liquid feed imaginable...?
« on: May 26, 2011, 15:29 »
I've been making up and using a 6X liquid feed recently, in a 22 gal water butt with an inlet hole at exactly the same level as my nose when I'm unlocking the plot shed door.

I have to get within 12" of this apparently innocuous aperture, but Hellfire, it does tend to knock one over more than somewhat...

I'm also mashing some nettles in water just a few feet away, so with any luck/fate, I won't have any friends before long!

Anyone got anything worse going?

Bailz

• Experienced Member
Re: Smelliest liquid feed imaginable...?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 15:33 »
my ruhbarb leave brew is beging to hum a bit speacialy when you give it a stir  :wacko:
Cheers Bailz

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 15:34 »
When I got my 2nd half plot I inherited a plastic barrel with a semi liquid in it.Obviously some attempt at liquid manure! The only thing was I'm sure it was of human extraction :ohmy:It was incredibly foul.I ended up up ending it on an area that I wasn't going to cultivate for over a year when no-one was around. But boy did it make me heave :tongue2:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 16:06 »
It was nettles or comfrey in there, they make a mix that smells like THAT  :ohmy:

or else it was Black Jack...animal manure (in a sack) steeped in water...horrendous smell but the plants love it ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 16:37 »
No I know what they smell like & it wasn't them,I've changed many a stinky nappy in my 33 years as a nursery nurse :blink:

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 19:28 »
my ruhbarb leave brew is beging to hum a bit speacialy when you give it a stir  :wacko:

Never heard of rhubarb leaf tea. Care to expand?

Bailz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 19:58 »
right i am a total newbie in the garden but a old guy suggested if i soak the leaves for a couple of week the water the brascias with them it would keep butterfly away becouse of the smell.............. can sumone tell me is this true not used yet cheers neil.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 21:28 »
Funnily enough, I can't find any comfrey around here, so I won't have that pleasure...

The nettle tea is really brown after two days, so I'm expecting another whiff to appear before long!

Rhubarb's a new one on me too!

I do miss the warm smell of fresh horse manure, under plastic and hot (- very hot), because it has burned itself to a big cake, and so I've added some more just to keep the heap nice and solid.

It'll take several months before it sees the light of day again, so I'll probably start another ordinary compost next to it, for companionship's sake!

But that 6x stuff.............. yuccccch.....

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 22:29 »
Seaweed feed is pretty foul if you leave it for a month or so. I always have a couple of gallons on the go but the benefits far outweigh the pong. Anyway, it only smells when you take the lid off and give it a stir. I try always to apply it at night or before rain is forecast so as not to upset too many neighbours.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 23:37 »
My vote for #1 worst stench is comfrey tea. Wonderful stuff but it truly is horrible. It's so bad that fresh manure almost seems palatable next to comfrey tea .

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 05:29 »
My vote for #1 worst stench is comfrey tea. Wonderful stuff but it truly is horrible. It's so bad that fresh manure almost seems palatable next to comfrey tea .

You don't actually mean 'palatable' do you Trillium...

;0

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 05:32 »
A good chum reckons that her Bokashi system provides the best stuff she's ever used!

I wouldn't mind trying one of those, but I understand it's a bit pricey to maintain.

Any views?

mobilekat

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 09:11 »
I do get the feeling that so many of the liquid mixes work so well because the plants grow as fast as possible to get away from the smell!!!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 21:58 »

You don't actually mean 'palatable' do you Trillium...

;0

I do, growster. Ripe comfrey tea is truly horrible smelling, worse than fresh manure.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 22:09 »
The liquid from my wormery takes some beating  :blink:
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

xx
liquid feed

Started by slider on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 23:38
by peterjf
xx
Liquid Feed?

Started by kittenkirst on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 19:08
by kittenkirst
xx
Liquid Feed

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 14:14
by Aidy
xx
liquid feed

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 08, 2017, 16:58
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 38 queries.