New to Chickens

• 2 Replies

Zak Dingle

New to Chickens
« on: May 25, 2011, 23:08 »
Hi
I am very new to chickens.
My coop is set up and feeders are at the ready but I want to get some Pekin Bantams and it seems they are like hens teeth !!
I was told that Chickens will know which plants they can eat and which they can't.
I am really worried after reading your site because we have large flower borders with many plants some of which are listed as poisonous to humans and animals but they have been there for many years and the dog, cat, squirrels and garden birds are fine with them.
We were going to keep them in the coop and run during the day and let them in the garden in the evening and weekends.
Are chickens really likely to eat something poisonous when they have eated layers pellets all day and can get the odd slugs and snails when out ?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New to Chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:17 »
mine all free range and therfor I have no control over what they get to eat (apart from their layers and mixed corn of course  ::)) and so far after a good few years of keeping birds not one has died from toxic plant problems (afterall the wild birds can also get to them).
As an example - yew berries are supposed to be toxic to us but the red berries are fine it is the little black seeds inside that are the problem and the birds swallow these berries whole with the black seeds coming out the other end. Laurel is the same - our black birds go mad for the berries and swallow them whole - the end result is loads of berry seeds deposited all over and hundreds of new laurels cropping up all over my garden.
Staffies are softer than you think.

orchardlady

Re: New to Chickens
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:25 »
If and when you get your Pekins be prepared for eggs to be laid when they feel like it and them going broodie at the drop of a feather. You will love them none the less as they are such sweet little characters that are friendly and easy to tame. As they are a pure breed bird you may find that you will need to purchase a breeding trio, so think carefully if you want a cockerel. The boys are just beautiful to look at but I've had one or two over the years that can be rather bolshie.

Orchardlady

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
new to chickens

Started by groves on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 11:18
by joyfull

Page created in 0.612 seconds with 37 queries.