Help! What's wrong with my runner beans?

• 2 Replies

Taimi

Help! What's wrong with my runner beans?
« on: May 25, 2011, 20:31 »

I was out checking up on my plants today and several of my runner beans have white patches on their leaves; in a few cases the leaves have totally wilted.

They're growing in fresh garden centre compost in a big plastic lined wooden container so I don't think it's anything in the soil... just wondering if there's anything I can do to help them out or if they'll grow out of it (or if they're a total loss... hopefully not  :( )

Thanks.

Fisherman

Re: Help! What's wrong with my runner beans?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 20:38 »
I can only think its the cool weather or wind-burn. They should recover especially if it warms up a bit. When you say wilted are the leaves crispy and dry? Were they direct sown or sown under glass or a cloche? If recently planted out they may not have been hardened off enough!

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Re: Help! What's wrong with my runner beans?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 00:20 »
its cold damage - runner beans are VERY tender the slightest wiff of a chill and they immediately sulk, worse case scenario if they get a hit from FROST they will most certainly die, youve been warned.  I am an experienced gardener and never put my beans out until well after the last full moon in May (which was the 17th this year) and usually not till the last week of may......

You can always take a chance in putting them out early but be prepared for disasters and have backups on the go.....

As an addendum planting the beans early rarely gives you any advantage as the beans planted at the end of May always put a sprint on and catch up - its barely days difference... why bother.. :blink:
Death OR Cake ???

clip
What’s wrong with my runner bean leaves?

Started by HeathM on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 07, 2020, 15:22
by HeathM
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael

Page created in 1.736 seconds with 36 queries.