what type of bedding do you use?

• 4 Replies

neenyneen

what type of bedding do you use?
« on: May 25, 2011, 13:20 »
i am currently using straw, but thinking of switching to shavings??? which do you think would be the best for my 3 ladies in respect of easiest to clean, comfiest and most cost effective - also does anyone use anything other than these 2? i was thinking of using my bills and bank statements  :tongue2: shredded of course, but don't know whether the ink on the paper would be toxic? any thoughts on this also?? Thankg you in advance!
love my chickens me! :-)

helens-hens

Re: what type of bedding do you use?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 13:27 »
I use a combination of straw and wood shavings. Its about 30 % straw which I use to 'bulk up' the bedding (particularly in the winter) and the rest is woodshavings which is easier to poo pick and is absorbant.

Some people do use shredded paper though I am not sure fow absorbant this is.

There are other products out there like aubiose, hemcore and easibed. I use easibed in their run but not in the hen house but thats just personal preference.

Hope this helps.
Helen

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 13:29 »
We use wood shavings as they are more absorbent than straw and as straw is hollow, can harbour mites more easily and fungal spores with the damp that can create respiratory infections.

I'd like to be able to use something like aubiose, but can't afford it with the amount of chooks we have.

neenyneen

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 13:30 »
Thanks Helen, the absorbancy issue is why i was thinking of shavings, and i suppose your right about shredded paper and absorbancy being next to none! shavings it will be then!

Thanks again

Janina ::)

neenyneen

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 13:33 »
We use wood shavings as they are more absorbent than straw and as straw is hollow, can harbour mites more easily and fungal spores with the damp that can create respiratory infections.

I'd like to be able to use something like aubiose, but can't afford it with the amount of chooks we have.

Thanks Grannie - i read about straw being hollow on one of your other posts, definatley going to switch to shavings i think, however i would also like to use aubiose so may give this a try 1st, i only have 3 chooks and have seen a 20kg bag for £9.25 on the wonderweb, thanks again! Janina

xx
Bedding

Started by sam on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 19:05
by mobyjones
xx
bedding

Started by JOHNBOY44 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 12:26
by alabaster cheeks
xx
Bedding

Started by SoniaBA on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 18:41
by SoniaBA
xx
Bedding

Started by Prod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2013, 19:58
by Chrysalis

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 36 queries.