diatomaceous earth

• 4 Replies

billycasper

diatomaceous earth
« on: May 22, 2011, 09:58 »
A few people in america rave about its health benefits for chickens with the advantage of de odourizing coops. anyone here used it or had experience of it ?? i'm talking about the food grade fresh water stuff..
billy
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:59 by billycasper »

Helenaj

Re: diatomaceous earth
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:25 »
There are mixed views in here as to its effectiveness when used as a powder - most favour using it in a "slurry" and painting it on the nest box and perches as it keeps down the dust and so there's less chance of causing chest problems for your birds and ourselves when cleaning. I use the slurry on the perches and Frontline spray for my girls and that seems to do the trick.
You should only ever use the food grade powder, the one used for industrial purposes is carcinogenic when breathed in and it's use is banned in many countries.

billycasper

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:47 »
cheers helena, i was hoping to use it mainly for minimizing the smell in summer but with the added bonus of cutting down on nasties it just seemed to good to be true..

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 13:32 »
http://www.quillproductions.co.uk/insect-fly-control/hemexsan-powder-25kg.html

samething as Diatomaceous earth but half the cost and works just as well i use it all the time just dont use in the wind or ina closed up area i put it in the dirt bath in the nesting boxes make a slurry paste with fam 30 hemexsan and a tablespoon of fairy washing up and paint the inside of the coop helps to stop red mite and lice and keeps the germs down also use with Stalosan F Hygiene powder is a very effective cleansing disinfectant. DEFRA recommended. For use in and around the poultry house and run. Also widely used in stables, farm building and smallholdings.

Broad spectrum, destroys worm eggs, coccidial oocysts, fly eggs and larvae. Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral. Highly absorbent and will help to reduce the ammonia smell created by the chicken's droppings.

why it cost less is your not paying  for the name of Diatomaceous Earth
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

billycasper

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 15:38 »
thanks for that.. loooks promising

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 37 queries.