Flies and Mice - should i be worried?

• 4 Replies

Gerty333

Flies and Mice - should i be worried?
« on: May 21, 2011, 19:45 »
I found both in my hen house today - is this normal and should i worry about it?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 19:51 by Gerty333 »

orchardlady

Re: Flies and Mice - should i be worried?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 21:48 »
Definitely be worried about he mice as I believe they are like rats and have no bladder control and so are piddling all the time. The flies are not so much of an issue. To get rid of them just clean out your hen house.

Orchardlady

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 21:52 »
hi,

i'm not sure about the flies but don't think its not a good idea to have them around especially if they lay eggs in the chook poo which then become maggots :( you could try hanging some fly paper out of the chicken's reach to help the situation.

mice in coops is bad. they will try to eat the eggs and will also eat the bird's feed. they are vermin you don't want them transferring any nasties to your flock. try hanging the feeder in the run or removing it altogether at night. check to see if the rodents have chewed through the coop and  patch the hole up. also, if the coop is on soil they may have dug under the run or hen house to gain access so fill those in.

if you keep the feed outside (in the shed etc.) you'll need tro check that they can't get to that either.

finally - set bait and destroy the little  :mad: !

best of luck...

1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 22:28 »
You need to be poo picking regularly, eg every day in hot weather both in the coop and the run. Put the poops in the compost bin.  Don't give your birds too much food at any one time then it won't get left on the floor for vermin to pick up  :)

Gerty333

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:12 »
brilliant - thanks for the advice!!

question
Flies

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

82 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 22:05
by smiler43
xx
FLIES!!!!

Started by tezlin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 11:46
by Beano
xx
flies???

Started by justin hender on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 13:53
by richyrich7
xx
Flies

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 13:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 35 queries.