A wilting cucumber

• 20 Replies

skyelass

A wilting cucumber
« on: May 19, 2011, 22:38 »
Last week I pit my perfectly health cucumber plant out to the greenhouse, to be potted into an extra deep layer of compost. Every thing seemed fine but today it wilted even though the moisture in the compost was correct. It is cooler outside in the greenhouse. I cant see any outward signs of pest however I noticed when I brought it back into the house tonight that it barely has any roots, its about 10 weeks old and about 12 inches tall.

Any ideas whats causing it and what I can try to rescue my cucumber?

thx xx

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Re: A wilting cucumber
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 23:04 »
probably been overwatered...
Death OR Cake ???

mobilekat

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 15:10 »
Cucumbers do tend to have a bit of a death wish, in my hands!
But, as Cooperman says if you have poor roots it may well have been over watered, and thus have not formed a good root system.

if its still looking floppy things are not looking good, had you actually planted it out, or were you just hardening it off for its big move?
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 17:53 »
In my experience once they do that then that's-that.  Hopefully not in your case, but as is often said on here "Cucumbers wake up each morning thinking of a new way to die".  I grow twice the number I need and rarely have any spares by the time I get to planting out.

I am proud to have 3 alive, from 5 starters, this year . but they are now covered in red spider and most probably going to go in the bin as a result.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 18:10 »
Mine are now doing quite well indoors having been "rescued" from the greenhouse a few weeks ago; they didn't like the cool overnight temperatures (neither did the melons which seem to be equally wimpish but they too are recovering!)

I'm sorry to say I think if it's actually flopped over it's probably had it.  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 18:23 »
"Cucumbers wake up each morning thinking of a new way to die". 

I have heard that said of sheep but never of cucumbers.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 22:31 »
They seem to have a lemming-like tendency to snuff it at the least provocation unfortunately.  I have treated my four Cucino with kid gloves but despite my best attentions two of the darned things have seemingly lost the will to live and now look terminal.  I could spit I really could as four seeds cost £2.50. Last year I managed to keep three out of four alive and considered myself lucky

It's such a disappointment as they are really prolific. Let's hope the two survivors crop especially well  :)

I've not chucked mine yet as I'm hoping they'll spring back into life. As if  :nowink:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 01:44 »
I sowed 6 seeds, 100% germination, and every one of them grew big and strong without a single check so far - just like last year :)

And really, I haven't babied them at all. They've been sitting in my very cold greenhouse (missing glass) for weeks now and they're fine. In fact I'm going to have to chuck them in a growbag soon because they're getting too big for their pots.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 06:36 »
I am quite mean to my cucumber plants they never look like nice plants but i got 2 cucumbers ready at the moment and we had our first cucumber last Friday.  One of the plants sits in the patio window. they are very yummy and taste amazing.
Thanks
Kris

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 06:53 »

they didn't like the cool overnight temperatures

There's your answer! Simples but sad.  :(
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 06:54 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 09:00 »
I sowed 6 seeds, 100% germination, and every one of them grew big and strong without a single check so far - just like last year :)

which variety are you growing Shokky, cos some of them can take cooler temps and I'd love to know which is which  :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 09:19 »
which variety are you growing Shokky, cos some of them can take cooler temps and I'd love to know which is which  :)

Cetriolo Marketer, Vita Sementi Italian seeds. They're outdoor cucumbers and had a very good crop last year. I stuck them in growbags next to a fan trained cherry tree on my garage wall, and they scrambled all the way up the tree.

I'm doing more and more Italian varieties in all my seeds these days, because I just find they're incredibly strong, tough plants and they always do well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 09:33 »
That makes sense as a lot of the g/house cukes are bred for warmer temps than we can provide early in the year, because of cold nights.

I might try 1or2 of them for early plants next year, and sow some of the greenhouse types later when the weather is hopefully more predictable.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 13:36 »
Last year I planted out four of them but lost two, courtesy of my dog digging up the growbag. The two remaining plants produced so many cukes that even after giving loads away we still had more than we could eat. That's the trouble with cukes, no good for freezing and I don't much like them pickled. Though I did find these kept remarkably well in the fridge, much longer than supermarket cukes ever do.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 16:06 »

Mine are cucumber socrates and the pack said will take cooler temps

xx
Wilting Cucumber's!

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 20:11
by KT
xx
Wilting cucumber plants

Started by marigold on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 15:55
by paintedlady
xx
wilting cucumber leaves

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 18:47
by Totty
xx
Wilting Broccoli!?

Started by Dreadmeister on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2008, 02:40
by Dreadmeister

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 38 queries.