Pear Trees

• 13 Replies

Fleetwood Pete

Pear Trees
« on: May 17, 2011, 18:15 »
Can anyone tell me why the fruit on my pear tree is dropping off ?
It flowers and forms fruit then after a few weeks they start dropping !
I can't see any obvious sign of pests or disease's.
Last year I was lucky to get 1 pear off of the tree and think it'll be about the same again this year.
Can anyone offer some good advice as to what the problem might be and what I need to do to cure it.
Thanks

fatcat1955

Re: Pear Trees
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 19:12 »
Fruit drop is normally associated with lack of pollination.Have you seen many bees around the tree? You might have to hand pollinate next year.

Fleetwood Pete

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 19:21 »
 :) Thanks for that ! So what do I need to be able to do that, and how do I go about it ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 19:32 »
fruit drop is usually in June, when the tree 'realises' that it is carrying more fruit than it can support.

If there had been no pollination I don't think fruitlets would have grown, the flowers would just have fallen off.

If the fruitlets blacken before they fall it may be pear midge

Monty Don article here

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 20:48 »
I don't know how accurate this is, but I heard / read somewhere that lots of pear tree varieties will only form fruit every other year. 

My pear trees didn't form full fruit last year, all of the fruitlets dropped off so I'm hoping to get something this year from it. 

How old is your tree too?  lots of pears don't get into full swing for several years so maybe your tree is too young?

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 12:05 »
I have a number of fruit trees in my garden (the pears aren't that old) but I planted many more bulbs and flowers for this spring and the bee activity was immense - never known so many bees and it looks like its gonna be a better year this year - lots of pear pollination - as well as everything else and I also have apricots on my tree for the very first time  :D
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

fatcat1955

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 14:54 »
Fruit drop is usually later but due to the recent weather most blossom was 1 month earlier this year. Fruitlets do develope without pollination, (courgettes dropping off) but will drop soon after.

Fleetwood Pete

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 09:00 »
Sorry about not getting back for a few days-been busy in the garden !
The tree is about 6 years old -so I would have thought it was mature enough to produce fruit. No the fruitlets are not turning black before they drop-they're forming to about 1/2-3/4" in diameter and then dropping !
I have notice that at least 10 fruitlets haven't dropped but at least three times as many have to date !

gillie

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 10:52 »
Six years old is young for a pear tree.  It could be some years yet before it produces a decent crop.

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 13:52 »
I have found that so far more drop off than stay on - though I have more than last year and last year had more than the year before :) ps I think mine is 7 or 8 years old

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 14:15 »
Is the tree stressed? Lack of water perhaps?

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 14:40 »
i grew mine from 'whips'. They have taken about 4 years to start seriously cropping. (had a few more each year). I am hoping my crop will be reasonable this year but dare not say it will be good (time for that at picking time.) I grow 4 varieties because it says in the book that they like friends of other types that blossom together. Also I feed them very well in the spring. They do need some lime to help form the seeds apparently.

I learnt all of the above from an rhs book on the subject. I wd recommend it.

Fleetwood Pete

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 11:42 »
Definatly not lack of water I'm up in the wet and windy north, not in the dry south !
I only had room to plant one tree when I got it but could put another in now near by, I suppose it would help with pollination !

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 17:22 »

I only had room to plant one tree when I got it but could put another in now near by, I suppose it would help with pollination !

i was told by an expert that ' pairs grow in pairs'. So it should have a friend.  Even if you just grow another type just as a ballerina type for the blossom and pollination.

If you know what type your tree is. It is easy to find which it shd have as a pal.

xx
Pear trees

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 21:24
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
Pear Trees

Started by ihusker on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2007, 12:39
by ihusker
xx
Pear Trees

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 20:34
by supervegman
xx
Neglected pear trees

Started by Selkie on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 20:50
by Selkie

Page created in 0.588 seconds with 38 queries.