Fox raids

• 8 Replies

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Fox raids
« on: May 17, 2011, 17:07 »
Over the past couple of nights, Mr Fox has paid a visit twice.  Our run is pretty safe with a brick surround and double galvinised mess, but for how long?

I have a gun and it would be safe to let fly at him in the garden. However, can I legally shoot a fox in a rural back garden, if its worrying my hens?

For those techincally minded its a 2.2 live shot and I have killed rabbits with it in the past from over 100 yards very effectively. The hen house is only 90 feet from the kitchen door and a practice shot at a target went clean through a 2in piece of board covered in aluminium plate.

Your views please
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
Re: Fox raids
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 18:11 »
My OH has also gone out with a rifle after a fox .  Although we have suffered a fox attack I'm still not 100% behind harming a fox  it has to be said  :unsure:

Whether or not it's legal - I'm afraid I don't know.   :wub: OH doesn't think it is legal. 
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 19:27 »
I think you need a different forum to this one rugbymad.  I doubt few here can give you a legal rather than a personal opinion.

Bailz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 19:32 »
If it was me i would take a chance but thats my choice i not telling you to do it cheers bailz
Cheers Bailz

jinty1911

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 20:01 »
Me thinks that if you have 1 fox about there must be others.  So better to make sure the run and house are fully fox proved.  So saying that if I found a fox attacking my chicks I would do anything to protect them. 

toasted

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:15 »
i dont think you can shoot a firearm in your garden , unless you have a open ticket which lets you yourself decide if the land is safe to shoot on rather than land that you need to contact your firearm liaison officer to clear for shooting for your calibre.
22 lr isnt generally cleared for fox control unless you have it written on your ticket, you generally need a different calibre for that.
try contacting your f.l.o and he will be happy to tell you whether its ok or not as if you just risk it you could get your licence and gun taken away aswell as get in trouble.

if he says its not suitable join up on thehuntinglife.com as someone will be more than happy to come round and sort it and they wont charge you a penny, just need someone with a open ticket to see if the land is suitable to shoot on.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:19 by toasted »

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Re: Fox raids (an update)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 13:42 »
Well Mr Fox (no.1) won't be coming back, but not after any action I have taken.  While crossing the road to our back garden he was hit by a car, which despatched him for me.  On inspection it was a dog fox - which I am glad about as the vixen at this time of year may well have cubs.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 13:46 »
Well Mr Fox (no.1) won't be coming back, but not after any action I have taken.  While crossing the road to our back garden he was hit by a car, which despatched him for me.  On inspection it was a dog fox - which I am glad about as the vixen at this time of year may well have cubs.

This wasn't a paid hitman I hope!   :ohmy:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

evie2

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 17:54 »

And out of those cubs, there will be replacement dogs as well as bitches.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Page created in 0.642 seconds with 36 queries.