Questions about garlic..

• 7 Replies

Benandbill

Questions about garlic..
« on: May 17, 2011, 05:49 »
Mine's looking good, leaves are tall but I don't know when it's ready to pick.  Do you have to wait for the leaves to die back like with onions?  Don't know which variety it is as it's a few cloves I planted from supermarket bought bulbs so I didn't have any instructions.

When is the best time to plant?  I gather there are different seasonal varieties that can be planted at different times of year.  I want to plant as soon as I can as I'd like to have a continuous supply...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Questions about garlic..
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:15 »
When the leaves go yellow, you lift them and let them dry out.

You have to be careful with shop bought garlic, it may not be suitable for our climate and could be carrying disease, that's not to say that you won't get lucky though.

My best ever garlic was bought from the Really Garlicky Company in Scotland, so it's well suited to our climate. It's a hard neck variety and grew really large, having just 5 or 6 cloves to each bulb, but they are that big you don't need many and are easy to peel.

It's well worth paying that bit extra, in my opinion.

You can't really sucessively plant garlic, say every few weeks, but I've still got in store some of the "Music" I lifted last year.

Next planting time for me will be in October.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bigben

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:07 »
I agree with DD. I found when I planted shop bought garlic it grew but the cloves were really small and both me and the missus could not be bothered to peel loads of tiny cloves to get a useful amount. I discovered the really garlicky stuff and found it gave really big cloves which were much more useable. I planted mine midway thru October of last year and they are looking pretty big.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:15 »
My Garlic doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. It pushed a few leaves out to about 4 inches high then seems to have totally give up. I think i'll have a furtle and see whats going on underneath.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

mobilekat

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:29 »
I have quite a lot of garlic in this year, and while most is being great, and growing nicely, some are behind, and then we have the problem children.
These have gone a bit loopy and have thrown up multiple stalks- see attached photo.
Any suggestions- I have concluded I wont be getting much in the way of big bulbs from them, and have been trimming some an using as if they were chives!
This has mostly happened to the Sultops, but a couple of Arnos have done the same
Any suggestions as to why. I am guessing I will just get more small bulbs!
sultop garlic 2.jpg
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:56 »
Sorry to butt in, but I too bought from the really garlicky company.  I can't wait to see what the results will be.  I planted just 15 plants, is it worth me keeping say three of the grown bulbs to re-plant for next year (if they grow of course), or should I just buy more bulbs?

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 12:21 »
I save my own garlic to use the next year, you should be fine as long as they don't have any disease
Paul

Benandbill

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 18:41 »
Thank you everyone for your responses and contributions, there's plenty to mull over in here now..  ;)

xx
Garlic, a few questions

Started by Dominic on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 16:02
by Trillium
xx
two questions - garlic and courgettes

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 20, 2007, 10:20
by Annie
xx
Overwinter Garlic & Blossom end rot questions

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 00:42
by Trillium
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 36 queries.