What can you do for a chook in mourning?

• 8 Replies

NormandyMary

What can you do for a chook in mourning?
« on: May 16, 2011, 20:51 »
I know, I shouldnt have just had 2 chooks, but we had only recently lost Miss Sprinkles to a fox, and we wanted to wait until the new run was completed before we got any more. Well, unfortunately, this morning, we lost our Miss Grey, our beautiful Bluebelle who had already cheated death 3 times. I was so upset and gutted.
We made a run early afternoon, as we realised that Miss Red couldnt be left on her own. We got 4 chooks and a cockerel.However, this evening, we couldnt get Miss Red into the new pen with the newbies and now she has gone walkabout and its dark. We have barns which Im sure she will find a nesting place for tonight. Any hints for enticing her? I tried banana and her favourite bread, no joy. Im sure she is missing Miss Gray as they were inseparable. I just dont know what to do for the best...providing she comes home tomorrow of course!

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
Re: What can you do for a chook in mourning?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 21:37 »
i'm sorry to hear about your loss. i'll keep my fingers crossed for your little girl. i'm sure she'll find a safe place for the night.

i don't really know what you could try but would a seperate little run for her, when she returns, next to the new lot work?

sending positive vibes your way...
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 21:55 »
I think you may have overdone the 'new friends' straight away.  After losing her mates and being on her own, you're now expecting her not just to get used to 5 new friends, but oe of them is a cockerel!  Those beings who thinks a hen is their willing slave!   :lol:

I know its too late now, but I think if that had been me, I would have introduced 2 new ones first, then another couple of weeks later another 2.  Is there any particular reason you got a cockerel?  Not all hens like cockerals chasing them.  :)

But its a bit late for that now, but perhaps like Shetan said, maybe give her her own little run for a bit until she gets used to the newbies?

I hope she'll be okay Mary, poor little thing has gone through a lot lately.

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:28 »
Hello has your wee chook come home yet???
How horrible for her, it breaks your heart to watch them, hopefully she will get used to the other girls soon and they will be best friends...
Sending happy hurry home thoughts to you
 :(

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 09:46 »
Has your hen come back yet, Mary?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 19:22 »
Hi all. Miss Red was in her laying house (which was a maternity ward built when we had a broody, the girls went there to lay their eggs.) this morning when I went to let the others out. I managed to get her into the run, she made her way into the henhouse on her own. I went down later to find Jethro trying to have his wicked way with her. He bit her comb very brutally and made it bleed. OH went to check an hour later and Miss Red was in the run complaining very loudly. We have now made the decision that as she has been used to being totally free range, it would be cruel to pen her in. She therefore now has the rin of the place, she actually spent hours with me in the kitchen this morning, having a chat! Ill try and find out tonight where she sleeps so that I can make it safe for her. She's happy though, being out and about, so that's all that matters.
I think getting the cockerel was too much, I'd previously got 4 new girls when Miss Gray was on her own and she coped fine. Trouble is, the place where we get them is quite a way away, and I really did want a boy to finally replace Monty. Not that the little b*gger has crowed yet!!!!
We really do learn from our mistakes dont we.
Im going now to cook my birthday tea. OH was meant to do it, but he is very poorly so if I dont do it, I wont get my scampi treat!!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 19:46 »
Aww Mary, Happy Birthday!  Did you get your scampi okay then?  Sorry OH is not well, and I hope you didn't think I was being mean in what I said, when I read it back, it didn't sound like I wrote it!

Miss Red will love lording it over the others if she has the run of the place and they don't!  And you never know, Jethro may calm down with time!

jinty1911

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 19:53 »
Granny is right.  Too much too soon but too late now.  How about introducing the other chooks into free ranging with her one at a time?  That way she will be comfy in her own territory and won't be overwhelmed with a lot of new intruders?  Mister Man last of course?  :D

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 20:45 »
snap! its my birthday today too mary.

i'm glad your chook is back. i'm sure she'll feel like she's been promoted when she has run reign of the place  ;)

hope hubby feels better soon. mine just came home from his first day at work after a 12hr shift so i'll be cooking for myself too...

xx
In mourning, Fits in chooks!

Started by Mrs Tweedy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 16:26
by scabs
xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
Chook not herself??

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 00:05
by Hensington
xx
Chook with bad leg??????

Started by rgp5454 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 19:38
by muntjac

Page created in 0.528 seconds with 36 queries.