Mixing 8 week old chicks

• 4 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Mixing 8 week old chicks
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:06 »
I have 6 chicks that are at present 6 weeks old. 4 are definately boys, 1 a hen and jury out on the last, but increasing it seems she could be girl. The boys are sorted, my friend who gave me the eggs is taking them, to rear for table. What i need to do now is decide how to change my chick family.
I will get 2 more 8 week old chicks (if they are still called that at 8 weeks) i thought i would get them when mine are 8 weeks so they will be a similar size. When is the best time to send the boys, do I wait until i get the new ones, I was wondering if the 2 that are left will prefer not to be down to 2 in numbers and was hoping to divide the run up during the day of introducing the new ones but would have to put them in the same coop at night, I am hoping to do that when they are sleepy. I dont really have anywhere else for the other new ones to sleep.
Basically what i am asking is would you send the boys now or keep for another 2 weeks.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: Mixing 8 week old chicks
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 13:09 »
If i had the option i would probably go for a straight swop..

Some one may disagree, but i would think when you take the boys out, the hens may start fighting to re organise pecking order as the status quo may have been changed by the loss of the boys.  Then when you introduce the new ones in a few weeks, they will fight again.

Will be less disruption to just change them over in a day so they get it all out of there system in one go.

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 13:18 »
Thank you, that is what I was thinking of doing but thought I would get some feedback. Do you think that the chicks would be less violent towards other new chicks than fully grown chickens would be, i have read some awful threads on here about older chickens being introduced

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 13:41 »
Its not something ive had much experience with to be honest, im sure some one else will be able to advise.

If I were guessing I would say that chickens will fight to establish the order all the same.  The difference that a big bird vrs little bird will do more damage getting the point across.

Also two big birds fairly evenly matched can do more damage to each other then two smaller birds?

As I say, hopefully a more experienced keeper will be along to answer you question with a little more authority!

Lew

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 14:11 »
8 week old chicks can be fairly nasty to each other :(  I have about 30 youngsters at the moment who have all grown up together, and they are always battling, asserting their place in the pecking order.

What ever happens, you should keep any new chicks quarantined for at least 2 weeks.  any lurking nasties will take a hold in chicks quicker than full grown birds so you have to be doubly careful.

xx
Mixing chicks

Started by Fen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 21:14
by Fen
xx
Mixing chicks,incubator and hen

Started by Fen on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 10:07
by Foxy
xx
mixing chicks with older hens

Started by agingchick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 22:25
by agingchick
xx
Mixing chicks with older birds

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 23:16
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 37 queries.