Brooding sores?

• 9 Replies

kirstie1978

Brooding sores?
« on: May 16, 2011, 08:40 »
Hi everyone
Both my bantams are broody and unfortunately I am unable to permanently lock them out of the coop or put them in different cages. I do lock them out for a while but if I'm not around I have to let them back as I'm concerned something might happen, although unlikely I do worry about cats etc and they are slightly dopey at the moment!
In any case my bantam Orpington has plucked out her feathers and has developed a sore like a pressure sore. They have sawdust in their box and obviously at the moment arent using their perch. I don't want it to get worse and know that they aren't eating much although a little when I make them get out. Is there any suggestions? I wasnt sure if adding straw would help?
Thanks
Kirstie

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Brooding sores?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 00:30 »
Hi Kirstie, anything that adds a bit of padding under her will probably help.  Also be very thorough about keeping the nest box clean as if she is sitting on wet or dirty bedding there will be ammonia produced, and this will burn her skin.

A broody hen can get very warm and damp underneath, which is also a chance for bacteria and fungi to get established.  Keep a close eye on her sore area to make sure it doesn't get infected.

In my opinion this sounds like a case that calls for breaking her broodiness.  It sounds like being broody is really compromising her health.

There are quite a few threads on here about breaking broodiness, but the common advice is to find a way to cool her underside.  Dunking her in cold water is a drastic solution, but it's much better than allowing sores to take hold.

Good luck with your girl and please keep us posted on developments.   :)

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 00:59 »
one of my welsummers was being a nuisance, decided to go broody under an open shelter so I had to go and find her every night, so I put her in a weldmesh cage with food and water but no bedding for 3 days (big enough for her to move round in), let her out this morning, she's perched back in the coop tonight. trick is not to let them get cosy.

kirstie1978

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 22:20 »
Will a small dog carrier do. It has a plastic bottom but no shelter so where do I put them?
Thanks
Kirstie

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 23:31 »
Do you know anyone with a dog crate so you could put her in an outhouse or shed overnight, and put her out in the cage during the day, with top covered, so she can see her friends (mine was out of sight of the others, but re-integrated quite happily, though I know it's usually said they should stay within sight of each other). she needs to be kept light and airy.

kirstie1978

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:35 »
The carrier I have has no top to it and is basically all grill apart from plastic bottom. The lid was my concern for overnight. I will put her in that with the other as they are both bantams and although a small area it should work just the size and uncovered thing that was worrying me and what to do about night. Her 21 days will be up on 21st so I'm just not sure!

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 09:05 »
Broody birds do develop a scaly patch of flaky skin on each side of the breast from constant contact with the eggs but this is not usually a problem.

kirstie1978

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 09:24 »
Ah ok well that's kind of what it looks like it's like an inch perhaps sized scab that is about 1cm wide along the breast bone. I just thought perhaps it was getting worse enderneath as they have very thin skin... but it does sound like what you've described. Next time they get broody (i'm imagining it's more than once in the season?) i will stop it straight away. Unfortunately i was away for a week and so the lady looking after them would have struggled i think!)
thanks so much for all yoru advice and help! :o)

orchardlady

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 14:22 »
A hen cannot count and so the 21 days you mention is how long it takes to incubate the eggs under the broodie. If she has no viable eggs under her or no eggs at all she will continue to sit indefinitely or until you break the cycle. Allowing a bird to remain broodie (unless you put viable eggs under her) is not good for their health as they seriously reduce their food consumption and get very out of condition.

Good luck.

Orchardlady.

kirstie1978

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 14:37 »
Ah ok, right well i will cage them then and see how that goes. I'm sorry i thought the hormones was what controlled it and so they were a bit like us women! thanks for letting me know otherwise i would have been a tad confused!

xx
Looking after a brooding hen.

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 11:41
by joyfull
xx
brooding chicks

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 06:17
by Viv
xx
What to feed a brooding hen

Started by abd1964 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 17:42
by abd1964
xx
Brooding mum moulting

Started by Tiggersmate on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 18:57
by Tiggersmate

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 36 queries.