When should I abandon all hope of getting a cauliflower head?

• 9 Replies

Ian1906

I have had some over winter cauliflowers in since the Autumn. Everything about them looks good, I have had them protected against birds and there is no damage at all.

The problem is that there is absolutely no sign of a head formng on any of the plants. They now take up quite a lot of room and I was thinking about giving them up as a lost cause and using the soil for more productive crops.

The soil is as hard as I can get it.

Any opinions welcome please.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
You need to know the variety to see when they are supposed to "head".

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Cauli's are probably the hardest veg to grow successfully. I know i've tried! hehe  :wacko:
you need:
a) ground with high fertility (well manured the year before)
b) ground turned over in the autumn and allowed to consolidate over the winter
c) chose a good performing variety
d) start off in modules BUT do not allow them to outgrow as a check in growth will mean curtains
e) Keep WELL watered once transplanted and away VERY IMPORTANT
f) keep clear of weeds
g) keep netted
h) FEED continuously

If you are not prepared to put a lot of work in dont bother buy them off the market!  ;)
Death OR Cake ???

Paul Plots

Cauli's are probably the hardest veg to grow successfully. I know i've tried! hehe  :wacko:
you need:
a) ground with high fertility (well manured the year before)
b) ground turned over in the autumn and allowed to consolidate over the winter
c) chose a good performing variety
d) start off in modules BUT do not allow them to outgrow as a check in growth will mean curtains
e) Keep WELL watered once transplanted and away VERY IMPORTANT
f) keep clear of weeds
g) keep netted
h) FEED continuously

If you are not prepared to put a lot of work in dont bother buy them off the market!  ;)

The best ones I ever grew were given to me as cabbage plants... I had a very pleasant surprise when they produced wonderful cauliflowers with very little effort on my part other than good fortune.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

BabbyAnn

The best ones I ever grew were given to me as cabbage plants... I had a very pleasant surprise when they produced wonderful cauliflowers with very little effort on my part other than good fortune.  ;)

LOL - and perhaps because you were none the wiser for knowing they were caulis until they produced heads, you didn't whittle about them and confirming your suspicions that they are difficult to grow.

The problem is that there is absolutely no sign of a head formng on any of the plants. They now take up quite a lot of room and I was thinking about giving them up as a lost cause and using the soil for more productive crops.

Please don't give up now!  I had a similar experience the first time I grew caulis.  I was so sure they were duff plants but luckily I was too busy getting on with other stuff and left them to it.  As the plants are healthy, it would be a shame to uproot them as I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you could hold out a bit longer.

fatcat1955

My OH planted some cabbages, turned out to be the best cauli's i have ever grown.

Salmo

My caulis only headed last week so be patient a little longer. At least you will have a crop when there is little else.

Ian1906

Thanks - it seems the only thing I haven't been doing of late is to feed them and that is down to the fact that they have been growing so well.

I'll give them a feed and show a little more patience.

bazial

• Experienced Member
Hi
   Don't give up looked at mine today and they are starting to head ,hopefully we will have a Cauli for the weekend.

Bazial
bazial

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
Gave mine some chicken pellets then added about 2in compost and an 1in of soil, because they had grown so tall but hadn't formed a head. Kept them well watered and they formed the best heads I've ever had. Finished the last at the weekend.

xx
first ever cauliflower head

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 22, 2010, 00:14
by m1ckz
xx
I really hope...

Started by SalJ1980 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 21:37
by SalJ1980
xx
I hope it does what it says on the tin!

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post January 07, 2015, 09:53
by JayG
xx
Watermelon in the UK. Any hope!?

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 09, 2015, 18:04
by Markw

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 36 queries.