Hen run

• 4 Replies

Raven81

Hen run
« on: May 15, 2011, 20:12 »
I have built my hen house complete with nest boxes and run.  WHat is recommended for the floor of the run? Am I best to keep it as normal dirt (we have clay soil) or to buy some bark chippings? or anything else? I have a small garden with a very close by neighbour so need to be able to regularly either change or clean or turn over the ground, but I am happy to do whatever is necessary to keep the smell down.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: Hen run
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 20:39 »
It's normally 2m sq per bird, but the more the better really!
I hate signatures but love irony

trish25158

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:17 »
I use hardwood chippings (bark gets mouldy) and poo pick, don't have a problem usually with smell. However when it rains it settles on the clay and turns into a quagmire so have to top up more often in winter  :)

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 11:22 »
We just have soil that i dig over every weekend. I am going to put a few slabs down as well so they will have a mixed area. I also salvage any turf if i see any that friends have dug up or builders laying etc and the chickens get the green side for a few days, then I turn it over for them to scratch on the bottom then i break it up and mix it into the soil which helps to keep the soil levels up. I dont know where it goes but the turf so far has mixed in well

Raven81

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 12:04 »
thanks. I'll have a think, funnily enough we were jut saying this morning about putting a few slabs down for them!!!

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 28 queries.