how do I know when my spuds are ready?

• 7 Replies

Jamboian

how do I know when my spuds are ready?
« on: May 15, 2011, 15:18 »
hI all! I planted Maris piper and Maris peer in the first week of april, all looks well, judging by the growth, just wondering when I can lift some. How do you know when they are ready. Sorry if this sounds daft but as a newbie I am itching to see some results. thanks Ian.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: how do I know when my spuds are ready?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 15:28 »
maris peer are 2nd earlies and take roughtly 13 weeks and maris piper are maincrop and take about 20 weeks.

Flowering gives some indication that tubers are beginning to form, but not all varieties flower.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 15:32 »
You are probably about half way there with Maris Peer and about a third of the way there with Maris Piper although these things aren't set in stone (a lot depends on your growing conditions and also whether you can't wait to eat them before they reach full size!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Jamboian

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 15:40 »
thank folks, guess I'm just the impatient type. be of good cheer, Ian

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 20:42 »
I am a newbie and my potatos are flowering now nearly a week now. I do not write down their names, wondering if they are ready to use? or I have to wait when the flower drop?

thanks
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

bigben

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 21:16 »
I am a newbie and my potatos are flowering now nearly a week now. I do not write down their names, wondering if they are ready to use? or I have to wait when the flower drop?

thanks

You could have a feel (or furtle as I think others call it!). Depends on how many you have sown. If you have only planted a couple of tubs of them then you might want to wait but if you have loads then you might be prepared to risk messing with one of them to find out. If when you feel under the surface you pull out something the size of a grape then leave them a bit longer.

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 21:28 »

thanks

You could have a feel (or furtle as I think others call it!). Depends on how many you have sown. If you have only planted a couple of tubs of them then you might want to wait but if you have loads then you might be prepared to risk messing with one of them to find out. If when you feel under the surface you pull out something the size of a grape then leave them a bit longer.

exactly! I do it many time during sowing :D

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 14:47 »
growing maris piper too. I normally wait until it flowers, flowers die down and the foliage begins to die. its the signs i have been told to look out for when spuds are ready to be dug.

xx
When will my spuds be ready?

Started by Mmm Veg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 14:55
by DD.
xx
How can i tell from looking if me spuds are ready to come up

Started by Size66 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 05, 2006, 13:11
by Oliver
xx
Whoop - First few spuds ready for tea - thanks!

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 21:16
by wighty
xx
was getting the ground ready for the spuds

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2006, 08:29
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 38 queries.