urgent advice needed - update

• 24 Replies

louiseb22

Re: urgent advice needed please
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 22:12 »
I believe that as a vet you have to be specially trained in exotic birds to treat chickens as they are classed as exotic. I would imagine this extra training is not cheap and hence not all vets take it up.

I am in no way condoning the actions of the aforementioned vets just playing devils advocate.

This is just what I have been told and am standing by to be corrected :D :D
1 Coral Nick, 1 Rhode Rock, 1 Light Sussex,  2 Speckledy, 1 Columbian blactail, 2 welsummer, 1 Columbine
and 18 ducks/drakes/ducklings mix xxx

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 22:36 »
you might be right louise but my argument is that if you pay so much to gain the degree in the first place AND poultry keeping is now gaining more and more momentum then surely its common sense to upgrade the teaching syllabus to include chickens.

i bet the situation was the same for things like chinchillas and degus but i'll bet my brahma that a vet would treat one of these if it came in.

if they can teach you about budgies and parrots then surely they can teach you about a few chickens.

imagine the uproar if i refused to teach fractions because i didn't feel confident about it!
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

louiseb22

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 07:12 »
I agree, like I said I don't condone it.
As it stands I have no chicken friendly vets anywhere near where I live but a lot of experienced chicken keepers and also this wonderful forum, luckily touch wood I have not needed a vet as yet however when I do rest assured I will be trying every vet in my vicinity and letting them know my feelings when refusing to treat.

lets hope they catch on soon even if only for their own business sense!!

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 07:56 »
amen to that!

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 15:27 »
Louise,  There are two i know of in Gilesgate Co Durham that are chicken friendly, Hare and Hounds  number is 0191 3864499 and Dunelm vets number is 0191 3847609. You only need to register with them so if you do have a problem they already know who you are  ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 15:29 by SoniaBA »

louiseb22

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 15:31 »
Thanks for that SoniaBA, I will check them out although they are still quite a way away from me.

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 15:35 »
More that welcome Louise. They are a bit away from me too but were the closest i could find  :D

Sassy

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 09:12 »
I understand the vet not knowing how to treat a chicken although hopefully this will change - however slowly. It is up to us to make a fuss.

However, I cannot condone the vet suggesting you try a cat or dog wormer - I'm not even sure that is legal let alone ethical. She could have gone on the internet or phoned someone for advice. It does sound as though she is more interested in the charges she can make. >:(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

shetan

• Experienced Member
Re: urgent advice needed - update
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 18:03 »
well....finally got a hold of a vet who would 'see' my boy but he has quoted £26 for consultation PLUS £23.18 for more flubenvet. he also thinks its gape but i have been treating for 3/4 days now and not seen an improvement. i can't afford that.  i didn't even have enough money  to buy a bl***y loaf of bread today!

whereas...

pets at home have a vetenary surgery at the their store and they've said a consultation is £15 and flubenvet is £21.16 (and without prescription at vet's discretion)

i'm out of fluben today and they can't get  it till tomorrow - i'm beginning to think it might just be better to put him out of his misery, i've no problem dispatching him as we do cull meat birds but he's my pride and joy....

have been seeing magpies since late yesterday evening and thinking its an omen.

i keep going out to check if he's dead  :(

evie2

Re: urgent advice needed - update
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 18:14 »
Our vet looked at me as if I came from another planet when I asked him about treating our chickens and their practice is rural ::) the patient after me was a duck, obviously likes them more than chickens >:(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Started by daisy1990 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 20:21
by daisy1990
xx
Urgent Advice needed please!

Started by trinacooke on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 05:54
by trinacooke
xx
Urgent advice needed

Started by Kay Davies on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 19, 2007, 09:28
by Selkie
xx
Please help. urgent advice needed

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 21:22
by ehs284

Page created in 0.86 seconds with 36 queries.