Help please

• 4 Replies

retribution

Help please
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:39 »
I have got the eggs for my broody as previously stated, i tried putting her seperate but the eggs didnt seem to be getting warm so i put her back in the nesting box in the coop as she doesnt move. the only problem i have now is the other girls want the eggs as they pull them out from under her. do i have to seperate her again? if so what in as i had a nice box for her and she move out of it with the eggs under her.
i cant watch over her all the time and keep the others off her. dont want to shut off the coop to the others if i can help it as they will get into bad habbits with egg laying.

PLEASE HELP

orchardlady

Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:45 »
If the other hens are pinching her fertile eggs you will be in a total muddle in no time at all. One evening very soon move her to her separate quarters and shut her in with her eggs. Leave her there until late the next morning. Open her up and see if she has settled. Keep all other hens out with a cage or wire mesh across her door way. She needs peace and quiet to get used to her new home and to incubate her eggs.

Orchardlady.

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:48 »
If the other hens are pinching her fertile eggs you will be in a total muddle in no time at all. One evening very soon move her to her separate quarters and shut her in with her eggs. Leave her there until late the next morning. Open her up and see if she has settled. Keep all other hens out with a cage or wire mesh across her door way. She needs peace and quiet to get used to her new home and to incubate her eggs.

Orchardlady.

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:50 »
Have a look at this recent post.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=75907.0

Orchardlady

retribution

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 12:02 »
Thankyou for the link, i have moved her back out but have made adjustments to the box so she shouldnt be able to roll the eggs out so should keep warm on the nest. i put her in the garden and she had a very waterery poo the GOD the poo thatcame out was HUGE and boy did it smell, will carry out the advise in getting her off twice a day. Hill footer if you read this could you remind me about the slurry mix that you put together for the coop ? i have all the stuff and most of the coop is still in the grey dried slurry but some has worn off so i want to top it up, think it has kept the mits away as i have not seen any, not that i know what they look like :)

Thanks again for the advise

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 29 queries.