chickens whilst on hols??

• 11 Replies

timtheenchanteruk

chickens whilst on hols??
« on: May 13, 2011, 17:09 »
I'm getting my first few chucks this weekend, and just wondered something, I have a friend who will look after them when Im away.
Now we go away on a weekend quite a bit, just friday-sunday (max monday) and was wondering, if fed/watered ok would they be ok for a couple of days with no one popping in (thinking ahead just incase I cant get anyone to call in)

I have built a secure hut/pen so they are safe and wouldnt need shutting up at night.

dugless

Re: chickens whilst on hols??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 17:25 »
 I suppose if you put enough food and water they should manage but I think you might find any eggs laid and left would get eaten,  and I was informed once they get a taste for it  they carry on eating them and it is difficult to brake them of the habit.   
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

evie2

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 19:55 »
Have you a secure run slabbed or weld meshed?

Is your coop door secured with a lock or bolt?

Will the hens be safe from drafts?

I'd make sure there would be someone that could look after them, more than one really so no one feels put upon :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 21:01 »
Draughts can kill hens and they really should be locked securely away at night.  Ours are behind an electric fence but we stiill always put them to bed.  I wouldn't personally leave them even with an automatic pop hole, so much can go wrong andif they got sick you would feel awful that noone was there to help
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

grinling

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 22:26 »
Someone will prob say I'm terrible, but I have 4 ( currently rooming with  my sis) and I have never locked them up at night owing to 2 children and chooks were 15 mins walk away. Had pop hole covered over winter. I have filled up their pellet holder on a Friday and filled 2 water holders ( both hold about 4 litres). Water and food is suspended so they can't be knocked over or rats getting at them. Chicken run roofed. It meant I could take Sat off and return Sun afternoon after church.
It would not be possible if very cold weather was due as the water could turn to ice, but in winter an alternative water holder was used.
Eggs fine, but you will be running a risk of them accidently being broken.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 22:34 »
I have only had my chicks for 5 weeks so it hasn't been an issue yet, but my friend whom I got our original eggs from regularly leaves her chickens for a night or two with no problems. I'm sure many will say that is luck rather than judgement but not everyone has the luxury of help. It could possibly be difficult for a truly dedicated chicken keeper to have an odd night away and if they do all they can do is to prepare their chickens for that night or two they should be allowed. Please dont take this as a controversial post as I know personally I like to have a variety of responses to my questions and know I feel better when I get a response in line with my own thinking. It doesn't mean others have to agree with me

pigeonpie

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 22:58 »
As Gracie says it has to be a decision that you are comfortable with.
If you can top up the food and water, make the run as secure as is possible (and as secure as you're happy with so that if anything ever breaches it you won't be upset with yourself for not having done more) then they should be ok.  However, personally I wouldn't be happy leaving my girls for more than a day without someone popping in just to check that they're ok, even if they don't go to shut them in, etc.  Also, I like my eggs to be collected each day, especially if it may be warm.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 23:06 »
At present I have the luxury of there not being any eggs for the next few months. I  am hoping that offering all eggs to whoever checks on them in the future, along with a bottle of wine or two

pigeonpie

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 23:10 »
Luckily one of my friends in the village is desperate to have some chickens of his own but wifey won't let him so he is more than happy to chicken sit for us.  Another friend's children also help out by collecting the eggs and throwing some wheat in when they finish school.  I tell them that they can have or sell any eggs that they find, at whatever price they can get for them.  I pity their grandparents as I'm sure last time I was away they were selling them eggs for over £5 a dozen!!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 23:19 »
I've been away a couple of times since I've had my girls - once was planned, once was an emergency.  As a result I think it's always worth having a system that you can put in place immediately, and does not depend on others to help (although of course it's nice if you can get help).

In my case I have a hopper feeder inside the coop so the food can't get wet.  I'm planning to replace this with a treadle-feeder as I have a problem with wild birds eating the food.  ::)

I also have more than one source of water - one hanging gravity-fed type in the coop, and other bowls dotted around the run.  This way I can be sure the chickens can get water in the event that they knocked their main water down (it has happened once).

The only issue will be when my girls start laying - I will need to get someone to collect the eggs to make sure none get broken.  I have a neighbour who will be happy to collect the eggs, but an alternative is a roll-away nest box that keeps the eggs out of harm's way until they are collected.

It's also worth looking at an automatic pop-hole door opener, to help keep your girls safe from drafts and predators.  I'm not planning to get one, only because I live in a different climate to most of you and we don't have foxes in NZ!  :)

timtheenchanteruk

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 13:52 »
cheers, they have got a large secure lidded pen (weldmesh) big enough to roam, and a large house attached so they can get in out of the draught/rain etc.

I have found somone else, so now have 2 people to call upon (found the second by fluke, they live down the road, and have a few chucks of their own, so at least they know what needs doing)

dugless

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 15:51 »

Splendid,cannot do better than that  :D 

xx
My chickens

Started by bordercreek on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 15:32
by bordercreek
xx
new to chickens

Started by sunny side up on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 22:03
by grenhouse
xx
Chickens everywhere!!

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 16:43
by min200
xx
our 1st chickens are here

Started by storme37 on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 20:13
by orionsquare

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 36 queries.