Blackfly on my strawberries

• 3 Replies

galen

• Experienced Member
Blackfly on my strawberries
« on: May 11, 2011, 21:45 »
I planted a bed of bare rooted runners a couple of months ago, all doing well and looking healthy, until today...

Went to pick the first fruit of the year but having not got round to netting yet it had been nabbed by the time my daughter and I had got there thi morning. Not that worried as my established, netted, bed are going great guns and should have the first fruit from there in the next couple of days.  :)

However, on close inspection noticed all my new runners are covered in blackfly! Used to it on broad and runner beans but a first for my strawberries. Not worried about the fruit this year as will have plenty anyway but any suggestions for getting rid of them? Obviously can't "pinch" them off, am I just going to have to resort to spraying (soapy water or otherwise) or is there anyhing else I can do?
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Paul Plots

Re: Blackfly on my strawberries
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 00:21 »
If it were me I would probably water the plants (to help keep their strength up) and spray with soapy water...

But if you're not worried about keeping the runners (you may not be if they are 1st year plants) and there's no sign of black-fly on the plants themselves I'd be inclined to cut the runners off and dispose of them.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 13:37 »
ah, sorry, my original post may be confusing - I bought the plants as bare rooted runners, they are a different variety from the ones I currently grow as I wished to prolong the season. They have grown into nice, healthy little plants and it is these, the plants themselves, that have the blackfly.

Anyway, I'll think I'll do what you suggest Learner, I gave them a good watering yesterday and think I'll get the "soapy spray" out later  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 20:56 »
Best of luck Galen.... don't over-do the soap though - a couple of light sprays might be better than one drenching that way you should catch any newly hatched little bu blackfly in about (not sure how long) a week to ten days time?

xx
blackfly... help!

Started by clarabel on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 22:24
by clarabel
xx
blackfly

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 04, 2006, 21:27
by noshed
xx
Getting rid of blackfly

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 21:28
by Swing Swang
xx
Blackfly

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 21:41
by Teen76

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 36 queries.